Wednesday, March 6, 2013

3-6-13

5:30am


It appears that most all the schools
are closed in central Ohio.
I have yet to see one on tv that is open.
Columbus City Schools- CLOSED. 


The news said there was 6,000 power outages
at one time down to just under 3,000 now.
The snow is a wet and heavy snow.
They are calling it heart attack snow.
We are under a level 1 snow emergency.
The township snow plow has been out
most of the night as I have been up and down
most of the night looking out the window
and couldn't sleep.

I had my camera on charge all night
to be able to get some snow pictures today
for those who do not live in central Ohio.
Some trees are hanging low due to the
heavy and wet snow.  

Since there is no school today
and due to the amount of snow on the ground,
I'm letting hubby take my truck today
since it is 4x4.  Plus the truck is under
the carport so that means not having
to remove any snow from it. 

Oh yeah it's typical Ohio weather.
It's 34 degrees right now with 4-8 inches of snow
on the ground since 9:15 last night from what I am gathering.  
They say the snowfall
amount exceeded their predictions.

 The forecast for this weekend... 
Sat 52
Sun 55
Mon 52 

 And of all things, today they are having a 
state wide tornado drill at 9:50am for
those of you who may wonder why
the tornado sirens will be going off then.
I don't know if they will also go
off at noon like on a typical Wednesday.  
 


7:00am


I was a good little wifey.
I went out and shoveled the driveway.
Sweating like a hog now and my back is broke.
That is some heavy, wet snow!



   
 Now, let's compare this to yesterday...

BEFORE


AFTER




9:00am


Here is what 4 bags of frozen mixed vegetables
looks like after being dehydrated.
I also added in some salt-free Mrs. Dash
onion-herb seasoning.
It filled a medium sized peanut butter jar.

    
 This morning the dehydrator is going yet again.
This time I am making fruit leather,
like fruit roll ups only healthier!

I went through my pantry to find cans of
fruit that needed used up.
I used: applesauce, pears and fruit cocktail.
I drained off the syrup and put the fruit
into a food processor along with some
powdered raspberry jello for more flavor and color.  
4 cans of fruit will make 5 trays in the dehydrator.
Some of these fruit leathers will be used
for our emergency food supply.
I'll vacuum seal it to preserve it longer.



And of course I saved the fruit syrup from
the cans into a recycled ricotta cheese plastic bowl
and put it in the freezer.
I can later on add this to cake mixes or jellos
for added flavor.




2:20pm


Homemade fruit leather.
If you use parchment paper on your
dehydrating trays it will peel right off.
Or you could just cut the fruit leather in strips with
the parchment paper still on it and roll it up
like a fruit roll up.  



 3:20pm


In fold top baggies I started packaging
up some lunch or supper type meals
for either the food emergency supply
or travel food.
I used the fold top baggies because eventually
a days worth of food will go into one larger
bag for each person and get vacuumed sealed.
In each bag I either put a ramen noodle or instant noodle soup,
1/8 to 1/4 cup of dehydrated mixed veggies
and about 3/4 teaspoon Mrs. Dash no-salt seasoning.
  The reason I don't buy the cups of soups
already made in the styrofoam cups is that
my homemade version will lay flatter and be less bulky
to store or pack for a trip.

I'm trying to include all the food groups for each day.
Not quite sure how to include dairy in them
so will be sure to include a multi vitamin
in each days food pack to make up for it.
We usually take one every day so it wouldn't
be something different. 


Hubby does not know I am doing this.
He gets upset if I even watch Doomsday Preppers on TV.
I am NOT preparing for a doomsday,
I am preparing for a power failure which we
seem to get a lot of that can last 2 days to 
a week or more at times with stores and
fast food places being closed.
 Wait til I pull out my emergency food stash
the next time we have another major power outage.
He'll be glad I did this!  


5:00pm

For supper I am making
chicken, mushroom, broccoli & alfredo pasta.
Yesterday I cooked 2 chicken leg quarters in the crock.
Today I skinned, deboned and cut up the chicken.
I removed any fat and used the gelled broth
and put it into with the water that I boiled the pasta in.
Once done I made up 1 pkg (1 cup) alfredo sauce mix
and added it to a can of mushroom soup.
Stirred it and the chicken and mushrooms into the pasta.
In a small pot I boiled up 3/4ths of a bag of frozen broccoli,
drained and will add that and a can of mushrooms
to the chicken and pasta.
          
I still have some fruit leather on the dehydrator.
I've been rotating trays throughout the day
and remove the ones that are done.
I had an extra tray or two and decided
to throw in 1/4 bag of frozen broccoli.
It was chopped up already but I still took
a metal mallot and smashed it up more
into smaller pieces while still in the bag.
I have a couple pouches of  
Knorr's Pasta Sides cheddar broccoli 
that I will bag up with the extra 
dehydrated broccoli for the emergency food stash. 

 

   8:50pm


Stopped by Big Lots tonight
for some snack items.
While there I found these hazelnut spreads
marked down to $1.00.  I got 4.
I love this stuff!  Like Nutella, YUMMY!


And while there we splurged on something that we had been considering getting for awhile.
I had saved bunches by buying
a used camera so had a little extra money
to spare on this. 
(and the price of this along with my camera
is still $53 cheaper than one of the new
cameras we were looking at.)
It's a dual 7" screen DVD player for the truck.
With all the traveling we do or the times we sit
at hubby's work and the kids get bored and start bickering with one another I figured this would help out with the boredom and for me to be
able to keep my sanity! 
It was $79 for both screens, one has a dvd player in it, each has headset plug ins, remote, 
headrest mounts,
wall plug in and car plug in.  It also plays recorded DVDs, MP3s and Jpegs (pic files).
They actually had one hooked up in the
store to test out before buying.
The picture seemed pretty nice and clear. 


 

      



No comments:

Post a Comment