Thursday, May 9, 2013

5-9-13

7:45am


The self watering gutter garden is almost complete
minus the float valve, hose, water barrel and 
planting containers with plants.
Most people who make these do individual
10 foot sections of gutter.  I made mine 30 foot long
with three 10 foot gutters all connected.
I still have room for another 10 foot gutter
should I ever want to expand it.
If you want to check out others or to see
how to make them go to YouTube




Holes will be drilled into the bottom of the buckets/planters
and a fabric wick will run through the soil and down
into the water in the gutter to water the plants
from their roots.   Most people use net cups
in the bottoms of the buckets.  I do not have any
so will use a fabric wick instead for now.




I put chicken wire around the arched trellis
and placed two flower boxes on each side.
I will grow beans and cucumbers up the trellis.


Room to add another 10 foot gutter if needed.


The smaller pots I bought recently don't
sit too well on the gutters because they are
actually hanging planters.
To solve this problem I took a tomato cage
which has three stakes and inserted it through
the three holes in the pot where a hanger would
go and stuck it in the ground around the gutter
to help hold it in place.  I'd like to plant my
strawberries in some of these planters.





3:45pm


I got the back yard mowed.  
With hubby on call at work I have to pick
up the slack around here with him working overtime.
Plus it gave me an excuse to get out of the house
and away from arguing kids with a machine
that would drown out the noise of all the bitching.
Still working on getting my wood pile put away
and my gardening stuff organized from last year
that's sitting out in the yard like the old triangle trellis
that will not get used this year.



Here's a project the city says they will start working on
tomorrow for the next week, putting in new ramps for the corner
of the sidewalks.  WHY WHY WHY?
To me it looks like they've already been done.
See how newer the ramps look compared
to the rest of the sidewalk.  Now they are going to redo them??!!
Waste of tax payers dollars if you ask me.
Someone mentioned that they are going to make
the complete corner a ramp and remove
the triangular grassy area.  We'll see.
If not then I'm thinking about planting
some flowers in that area because it's difficult to mow
with the riding mower.



This is about like repaving some roads only
to repave them a couple months later
due to faulty asphalt or digging up to make
repairs to underground pipes.
Don't know who's running this show but
they aren't doing a good job of it.
Our street has needed repaved for a LONG time now
(try about 17+ years!!)
and they keep filling in pot holes causing more
and more bumps to drive over.
One street away from us got repaved twice in one year!!
But hey we're getting new sidewalks ramps.
Maybe I'll start driving on the sidewalks
where it's much smoother than the road we
have to drive down each day.


9:30pm


Finally get to sit down and rest a few, lol.
I got the front and back yard mowed this evening.
I used the push mower not the riding mower
for a little exercise.

We finally found a backyard mechanic to do work 
on our vehicles when needed.  Hubby knows how to work on cars and all that jazz but sometimes just finding the time or energy
to do it can be difficult.  It's a friend of a friend so not
a complete stranger.  We buy our own
parts (that aren't marked up like a garage would sell you)
 and he fixes things at a reasonable rate
and even comes to your home if need be like tonight!
We had him replace a wheel hub on hubby's car this evening.
I know this would have cost with parts and labor
at least $400 to $500 if not more at Goodyear.  We spent 
$158 including parts to have him replace it
and that included a tip!!
We also need the driver's side break calipers
replaced because they clang every time you hit
a bump and driving down our street alone
that's many bumps and many clang de clangs going on.
He said he would charge us $20 plus parts
to remove and put on new.
I do not like taking our vehicles to garages
because first of all they are too expensive
and sell you marked up parts and try to tell you
you need things repaired that are perfectly fine.
Second of all I know they intentionally break
things just so you'll come back and have them repair it.
At least it's happened at garages I've been to!
FYI-
Garages go by books that tell them how long a
job should take and charge by the hour according
to that book.  If the book says it's a 2 hour job
and they get done in an hour, you still get
charged for the 2 hour rate!!











No comments:

Post a Comment