Wednesday, May 15, 2013

5-15-13

7:15am


It's hard to believe a couple days ago we were
looking at 37 degrees around this time.
This morning it's 67 degrees, a 30 degree difference!

It's supposed to get up around 86 degrees today.
I went around and opened up all the
windows and have a few fans going
to circulate the air in here.

Update on vegetables and flowers for the garden.
Here was my celery 13 days ago.


And here it is today.


Potatoes 16 days ago.


Today.


I also noticed new leaves starting
on my large Hydrangea.
Haven't seen any new leaves on the 
smaller Hydrangeas.  These were the kind
you would buy around Mother's Day
as a gift.  Not sure if they will even come back.

Here are my two roses I got from Menards,
Sunsprite and Red Masterpiece.
Now to decide where to plant them.
These along with a few raspberry bushes
planted along the fence should help to deter
some thieves who should want to jump that
fence and get poked with lots of thorns!
One of our neighbors has many little cactus
growing around their house under windows.
My one child fell off their front step into them once
and it was a living nightmare!
I spent the rest of my day with tweezers pulling
MANY MANY needles out of him while
he was screaming!
I hope to never relive that moment again!
While that would deter thieves you also need
to think about the children who play in the area.
I would rather have thorns than all those cactus needles!




Only 16 school days left!
Ahhhh, lol.
With boys that are teenagers or close
to being teen age the food has to be monitored
especially over Summer break when they are 
home all day.
As of last night I have resorted to
using a keyed lock on my closet pantry
to store snacks and pop.
These items are going waaay too fast around here
to the point I have decided to lock them up
til I personally get them out for snack time.
Too many sneaking snacks!
It's not like I have locked all the food up around here
because I have not.  There's still plenty more normal foods
on kitchen shelves, in my basement pantry,
the fridge with freezer and my basement freezer chest.
It's just the junk foods I worry about
and how much everyone is eating so 
they are now under lock and key!!




9:10am


Well here we go again with being picky about
overtime at hubby's work.
Now they are back at only allowing 10 hours
overtime and anything after that they send you
home early.  Hubby's getting off work today
at 11:30am instead of 4:30pm!
That really sucks because if you get a really
busy week with the on call emergency pager
you don't make all that overtime money which
everyone could really use.
So today with him leaving 5 hours early took
a $127 chunk of overtime pay out of our pocket!


10:50am


Ok I'm sweating my you know what off.
I have boob sweat.  You know what I'm talking about
for those gals who have larger boobies!
It's like a waterfall going on under there, lol.
Not to sound gross but I had to go without a bra today.
Last night I started getting this burning sensation
on my skin a little ways down my left side from my arm pit
where a bra goes around your body.
I thought it was the bra irritating me.
There is NO rash, redness, bumps, bites, 
scratches, bruises or indentation but it feels like
a bad sunburn.  The skin looks normal.
It hurts to even wear my shirt.
Mom thinks I should keep a close eye on it for
fear of shingles which she did have.
I have had chicken pox.  My hubby and children
have not had it.  The children were vaccinated for it.


I got half of a 35 gallon tote mixed with my
homemade potting soil along with a couple 
other pots of dirt I had around here.
So what's that, about 17.5 gallons of dirt I've made.
Enough for 3.5 five gallon buckets.
I still have enough supplies left over
to do about 3 more rounds, ahhh.
It's a lot of work to combine this stuff together
especially when it's about 81 degrees out and rising.
I know it could be worse, lol.

Here is what I used for each batch of my homemade potting soil.
1/3 bag peat moss $2.00
1 bag composted manure $1.38
1 bag topsoil .99 cents
1/3 bag perlite $1.16
1/3 box epsom salt .33 cents

I could also add in some lime for mineral content and course sand
but chose not to due to budget.

Total cost for 17.5 gallons of dirt $5.86.

Compare this to Miracle Grow potting soil
you can buy in stores for around $8.00 a cubic foot bag
which is the size of ONE of the bags seen in the photo below.
This is homemade potting soil is cheaper and much better quality
soil than store bought potting soil!!
6.42 gallons miracle grow potting soil for $8.00
OR 
17.5 gallons homemade potting soil for $5.86??

I'll be making my own homemade fertilizer from compost,
diluted coffee, coffee grounds, diluted tea and tea bags.
And I do have some containers of powdered
miracle grow mix to add to water.






And while doing all this I have commotion
in the front yard of workers putting in the new curbs
on all four corners.



Hubby will be getting off work soon so 
better clean up.  Even though I used garden gloves
I still got dirt inside my gloves and under my nails.
This is where an old toothbrush works good
to remove that dirt.


1:45pm


Hubby took me to the thrift store.
I needed to find some sort of fabric to make
wicks from that run from the insides
of my buckets through the soil and down to the gutters with water.
I thought about getting some towels which were .99 cents
each and got to thinking I would need several towels
and that would start adding up.
I found a large cotton blanket for $2.99.
This blanket reminded me of those you would
see on a hospital bed so you can get an idea
of what type of blanket it was.
I'm hoping this evening to start cutting up the
wicks and drill holes in buckets
that way I can start filling them with dirt and plants.

Got back home not long ago and saw that they
got our sidewalk area framed in and ready
for some cement.


2:15pm


They started pouring concrete for the
sidewalk ramps.
Time to go down and wait for the kids to get off the bus.


3:00pm


I've been reading more and more on Shingles.
Probably getting worried about nothing.
It hasn't quite been 24 hours yet since this
burning skin started.
I read that a burning sensation can start about
3-5 days before the shingles rash.
I keep checking in the mirror.
I just find it odd that this appeared out of nowhere
and I can't explain it.  I've never had this symptom before
without having a nice, red sunburn to go with it.
Mom thinks I would be too young to get it but
I read it could happen at any age after you've
had chicken pox.
Then I read about shingles and Crohn's Disease.
It says you are at a higher risk for shingles
when you have Crohn's Disease probably
because Crohn's is an autoimmune disease
which means your immune system 
isn't the greatest like the average person.


4:55pm


It's 88.1 degrees outside
and 85 degrees inside our home.
I said I didn't want to turn on the furnace
and air conditioner all in one week.
I don't know now after working with the garden
and being outside, the temperature in the house seems
pretty darn warm and now I have the oven on
baking some chicken.  'Bout to give in any moment!

I got 4 self watering buckets done.
I cut up 4 fabric wicks for each bucket,
tied a know about 4 inches from the end,
fed it through a hole I drilled in the bottom
of the bucket, then put in the soil around the wick
and then Beefmaster tomatoes.
So 20 gallons of dirt gone through so far from
the one batch I made.






How the bucket looks sitting on the gutter.
This was before I filled the gutter completely with water.
This water was rain water.





5:15pm


Chickie in the oven and yup the air conditioner
has been turned on!
I put a cooling rack on a baking sheet
to bake the chicken on.
I seasoned it then will add bbq sauce near the
end of it's baking time.


6:25pm


Do you not find it odd that out of the blue yonder
my child says that chicken pox is going around
his school?!
I know, I need to quit worrying about it huh.
Yeah right.  I go my whole life without any
major medical issues then out of the blue
I have Crohn's Disease.
Yeah, it's hard not to worry about stuff like that.


I just read it got to 89 degrees today.
Yup that deserves a lil AC.


















No comments:

Post a Comment