Friday, May 17, 2013

5-17-13

7:15am


The road crew got to working on the curbs/sidewalks
early this morning.  They were out there at 6:30am
pounding stakes to make the concrete forms.

This is different.  What person brings their
BOAT to work with them??!!
This is one of the worker's vehicles.
You can see them leaning on the back of
the boat with their yellow safety shirts on
behind the little tree.
We're not supposed to be parking on the street
to allow them room to work but they are allowed
to bring their boat with them and park it on the street,
things that make you go...Hmmmm.



Here in a bit me and mom will go out 
and fight the fog to find some yard sales.


1:00pm


Back from some yard sales.
Here's some things I found today.

A pair of Lake & Trail winter boots for my son.
Looks new.  $4.00.
Saw an identical pair going for $40 on Ebay!


A set of heavy duty ceramic pet dishes $2.00 for both.
I'm hoping now that the cat won't be able
to move these bowls around and spill water everywhere!!


500 watt 2 plug power inverter.
At $5.00 would have been an excellent deal
BUT I only paid $3.00.
This will be great to have if there should
be any more power outages.
You plug it into your cigarette lighter in
a vehicle and it converts your vehicle battery
to household current.
In the last 8 years I'm guessing we've been through
three major power outages around here.
When I say major I mean going without any power
for 3 days to 2 weeks!  I am preparing now
for the next one before it happens with food items
and any other supplies we may need!!!


A 20 inch bike for my youngest son.
He probably doesn't need another bicycle
but at only $3.00 this one can be used for parts at that price!
It costs about $5+ just for one inner tube new.
I now have 2 inner tubes, 2 tires, 2 rims
and every other part he may need for only $3.00.
See my way of thinking with this?

Here we have a Zoo York t-shirt $1.00.
2 candles one is Yankee Candle brand,
$1.00 and .50 cents.
XBox 360 headset and microphone $3.00.
Stuffed monkey for diaper cake .25 cents.

GE 3 pack of wireless remote control outlets.
Total of 8 things can be plugged in and controlled
by a remote (each box).
$2.00 for each box.
I do have a Clapper on one of our lamps in the bedroom.
It's been nice not to have to get back up out of bed
to turn the light of.  There is one problem with it though...
If I wake up in the night and start having a coughing fit,
it signals that Clapper and the light starts 
turning on and off, on and off to every coughing sound!
Too funny!!

A box of 3 large strands of blue icicle lights,
4 boxes of gutter clips & a bag with 
new carded replacement bulbs.
Was $2.00 I paid $1.00 for entire box.
Plugged in and tested!
We started using blue icicle lights last Christmas
on the house (they were given to us for free).
I figured why not get three more strands for cheap now
because come Christmas time to purchase these
in stores could get expensive!

The last couple of items I got for my gutter garden.

A large trash can with lid that I just priced this week
at Walmart for around $15 and I got it for 
only .50 cents at a yard sale.
I plan to use this for some water storage 
to run to my gutter garden.
I'll drill a hole in the bottom of one of the sides,
add a rubber grommet and run a tube from the trash can to 
the gutter where a float valve will activate water to enter
the gutter from the trash can should the water level get low.




And lastly I bought 5 plastic litter buckets
to use as planters on the gutter garden.
They are a little smaller than the 5 gallon buckets
I have been using.
They were originally $1.00 a bucket but I offered
$4.00 for all 5 making them .80 cents a bucket.
Compare that to the buckets at Lowes
that cost $4.00 each.





4-5:00pm


I got more potting soil made,
buckets drilled out, wicks put in and
4 bell pepper plants planted and
pickling cucumbers & green bean seeds planted.



Hubby told his supervisor at work about
my garden technique this year and he laughed.
Oh it's on now!  LOL
I told hubby to tell his supervisor it's now
a competition between his garden and mine, lol.
He's also planting his garden this weekend.


6:30-7:30pm


Hubby mowed the front yard with riding mower 
and I mowed the backyard with a push mower.
I'm tired now and have managed to suck dirt, grass,
pollen, dandelion seed and God knows
what else up my nose.

While walking around the yard I noticed a 
BUNCH of baby pears growing on the trees I planted.

And aren't these cute?
They are baby bunches of Concord grapes.

And the onions are growing like crazy.


So much to do.  I still need to figure out
what I will make a potato bin out of.
Not sure if I will use the 5 gallon buckets,
we'll see what I can scour around to put them in.
Would like something a little taller.


8:45pm


I got my celery planted.
I still have 4 sweet 100 cherry tomato plants to plant also
and another batch of potting soil to make,
strawberries to plant,  banana pepper seeds to plant
and who knows what else I'll find to try and grow, lol.

The gutter garden is coming along.
A lot of work for one person
but the end results will hopefully be well worth it.



Time to chill for the evening.
Too pooped to pop.








No comments:

Post a Comment