Saturday, May 18, 2013

5-18-13

12:00pm


Went down to the flea market this morning.
I bought a zucchini plant for $1.00
and 4 sweet banana pepper plants for $1.00.
This way I don't have to worry about
trying to grow from seeds and they are already
off to a good start.

Hit a couple of yard sales on the way home.
2 collage black picture frames $1.00 & .50 cents
and 6 medium sized plastic containers.
Not sure what they were used for, probably baking
since they have measurements on the side.
I didn't care since I'm just looking for 
containers for cheap that I can plant things in.
These were .10 cents each.
Two of them I actually saved to store food
in because they had lids the rest is for planting pots.






4:00pm


I'm starting to wear thin.
Gardening is a LOT of work!
Mixed up a batch of potting soil,
drilled pots, cut fabric wicks, added them
and soil to pots, planted plants and seeds,
got them all lugged down to the gutter garden,
then lastly gave everything a drink and 
fed the gutter water with some
Miracle Grow.  Crushed egg shells
on tops of almost everything planted for some
added calcium and to help ward off any slugs
which can be a pain in the butt for any gardener.
There's still potatoes and 4 cherry tomato plants
that will have to wait til another
day as I have run out of energy!




Zucchini


Blue Miracle Grow water in the gutter.



2 Orange pots are raspberry canes.
4 Clear pots are sweet banana peppers.


Peach pot is celery.
Green pots are oregano, basil, chives & cilantro.




Carrots & radishes.


Plus the 4 bell pepper plants and 4 beef steak tomato
plants I posted yesterday.




8:40pm


Was tired earlier so I tried to lay down and take
a nap til loud kids woke me up.  Grrrr!
I got up and got to brainstorming as to how
to plant my potatoes.  I have been searching for
a large, tall container to grow them in.
I do not know why because I had the supplies
to make a potato tower all along, DUH!
Sometimes it takes me a little while
to think of these things, lol.
Not long ago my step-dad asked if I wanted
some plastic type safety fence and some 
metal posts to which I gladly accepted.
Wasn't sure what I would use them for but
figured I'd come up with something.
And that something is now a potato tower.
It is not part of the self watering rain gutter garden
and sits just to the right of it.
I hammered 4 posts into the ground.
Yeah that wore me out and had me sweating
and my forearm was rock hard, lol.
I then took some of the fencing and wrapped
it around the hooks on the posts.
I can add another piece of fencing if needed to make it even taller.
And I actually have enough supplies
that if I wanted to make a second one I could.
Or I could make a second tower and use it
as a compost bin, there's a thought.
Last year instead of bagging or mulching leaves
I blew them all along the fence to use as compost
or mulch.  Well I raked some of those leaves
up and put them in a pile next to the potato tower.
These leaves will now be used along with
some dirt and maybe straw to grow potatoes!
















No comments:

Post a Comment