Saturday, May 25, 2013

5-25-13

8:10am


This is crazy.  Earlier this week it was almost
90 and we had the air condition on for two days.
This morning when I awoke it was 41 degrees out and
I turned on the furnace.
I don't know what the low temperature got to.
Hubby woke me up around 7:30am
asking if I wanted to go to the flea market.
I had to pass on it.  But we still need to run over
to the scrap place this morning sometime
and then will head over to hubby's work
sometime today so he can replace rear brakes
on his bosses car.  Trying to make some extra cash
here and there.  $100 from the last scrap trip
plus whatever from today's scrap haul
then $100 for putting rear brakes on.

Vacation is 3 weeks away.
Last year we turned in some of our Speedy Rewards points
from Speedway to get a free $100 gas card for our trip.
This year we only have enough points
to get a free $50 gas card.
It would be nice to have extra spending money
for gas, food and whatever
for our trip from side jobs and scrapping metal
than to have to take it out of our bank account.


2:00pm


Hubby got the brakes done on his bosses car.
While he was doing that me and my youngest
son walked the entire complex.
My legs are sore.

Once back home I worked on getting
the water reserve hooked up to a float valve
for my rain gutter garden.
It is all set up and ready to go now.

I drilled a hole in the upper part of the gutter end cap
and installed the float valve through the hole
and screwed a nut on it to hold it in place.
I added some silicone around the float valve threads
and then pushed the water tube from the
trash can onto it.
Next I adjusted a wing nut on the float valve
as to where it should sit on the water when full.
When the water goes down in the gutter
then it will open up the float valve to 
allow water to flow into the gutter from
the trash can.  It automatically shuts
off once it gets to the water level I set it at.








I've now got green beans and carrots coming up.

Radishes on left carrots on right.

Green beans.

Need to go lay down.  My head is hurting.


8:30pm


We went back over to hubbies work this evening
to get rid of a couple things in their bulk
pick up area.  Then we stopped by Kroger
to get some things to take to Tony's family
Memorial Day cookout on Monday at the lake.

While at hubbies work we stopped by a dumpster
before leaving because we noticed someone
had put things beside it.
I don't know if I had wrote about wanting to try 
and find a dresser to make a solar dehydrator or
a sun dryer for fruits and vegetables.
Well anyway I found the perfect thing to make
one out of this evening.
It's made out of solid wood, has screens on
all sides and the top and even has a door.
It may have housed a critter/reptile at one time
from the looks of it but I knew when I first saw
it what I wanted to use it for and it could be cleaned up.
I could even put plastic on the sides next Spring
and make a mini greenhouse out of it
for my seedlings or use it with plastic sides
to make a solar dehydrator and hook it up
to my solar can heater.
I know I was just so excited over my find
and hubby probably thought I was nuts
for wanting to bring it home.
To me my box I found
was pretty much already made except
that I would have to make screened shelves
for it which would be no problem because 
hubby has old screens with frames at work
that they don't use that I could make them from.
The screened box comes up to my neck
so I'm guessing it's about 4 or so feet tall.




Check out this solar air dryer that someone made from scratch.
Once you see that air dryer then you will 
see why I was so giddy to have found this
screened box tonight.

10:30pm


Time for bed. 
Early rise tomorrow.  Going to the flea market.
Hoping it's warmer tomorrow morning than
it was this morning.







No comments:

Post a Comment