Thursday, January 9, 2014

1-9-14

7:10am


Thankfully the emergency pager didn't go off
anymore last night and hubby was able to sleep
somewhat with all the stress he's been going through.  
There are almost 900 apartments where he works.
There's a kitchen and bath in each apartment
and some have half baths and washer & dryers.
About half the complex if not more
has water tanks that sit outside in sheds.
That's a lot of plumbing to deal with.
Then there has also been main water line breaks underground.
Some underneath apartments because they are all on slabs
and some in parking lots.
I couldn't imagine if he worked
they have a power outage to 18 buildings.
Residents have no heat and some have no place
to go and are staying in their cars for warmth.
I'm sure there are plenty of water line freeze ups
there with no heat in those apartments.
They've also had water line rupture outside causing
streets to be ice.  Hubby took me through
this complex last night and showed me a car
that was frozen in the ice.

Here is an example from a water line in a kitchen that burst.
It freezes, expands and then the pressure builds up
and finally explodes through the pipe.  
Imagine putting your garden hose nozzle
on jet spray and that's what it is like coming out
of the pipe.  About 90 psi (pounds per square inch) if not more.
Enough pressure to tear through drywall
and flood an apartment.  If this little pipe can do that
much damage now imagine what a main water line
under the streets can do!


I am keeping my son home one more day from school.
While his fever is gone and he hasn't thrown
up anymore, there is still the issue with diarrhea.


9:15am


I made up some fruit salad jello.
I used 2 small boxes of raspberry sugar-free jello.
In place of the water it called for I used
chunky applesauce, pineapple juice
and water when I didn't have enough
juice or applesauce.
I then stirred in a can of crushed pineapple.
It's in the fridge now.



The reason for making it was because I gave my
son chunky applesauce to eat for his diarrhea
and he didn't like the chunky style.
I didn't want the whole jar of applesauce
to go to waste so made this jello fruit salad
instead.  He has been wanting me to make jello :0)
As long as he likes it is what matters.
I don't have to tell him that the chunky applesauce is in there.
I think the pineapple will disguise it.


5:00pm


For supper I am making goulash.
Instead of tomatoes as originally planned
I am using a half jar of mild salsa that needed used up.
I went through the fridge today and cleaned
out things to see what I had and what needed to go.
So I have about .99 cents tied up in my supper meal.
.49 cents mac & cheese,
.50 cents half jar of Dollar Tree salsa,
deer burger was free.





6:00pm


Woo hoo, hubby just called on his way home
and told me some residents 
moved out and left an apartment full of stuff.
Guess where I'm heading tonight, LOL!
Free stuff...I'm on it!  Especially since
we don't have much money at the moment.


12:08am


Went out and got a bunch of stuff from the apartment.
Enough to sort of fill the back end of the suburban.
Got back home and ended up going back out on 
call around 9:00pm.  It took a little to get there 
considering it was snowing pretty heavy
and the roads were really slick.
After doing the emergency call hubby has been plowing
and salting.  There's an extra 4 hours overtime for
hubby today.


---





No comments:

Post a Comment