Monday, January 6, 2014

1-6-14

HAPPY 14TH BIRTHDAY TO MY SON :0)


7:15am


It's 7 degrees outside and with wind chill it feels like -9 degrees.
At -9 I froze my tushy off out there!
I had on hat, gloves, scarf, jeans, sweatshirt,
fleece jacket and winter jacket on and boots.
I went out to try and start hubby's car and couldn't
get the doors open.  I sprayed 
Prestone Window De-Icer around the door
and hubby was able to get it open soon after.
I have both the bottle and can with scraper of the de-icer.
That stuff has been the greatest for when
your car doors or locks freeze and 
for helping to scrape iced windows!
NEVER pour hot water onto your car
to melt the ice off it.  It could shatter your windows!!

Last night I packed hubby a backpack
with extra clothing in it should he get wet
or need to stay at work at a coworkers apartment
that lives on the property due to 
too many maintenance calls or bad road conditions.
We even made sure to pack an extra days
worth of his prescription medicines.
Please say a few extra prayers for my husband
to stay safe, warm and to not have many
water line freeze ups or breaks and having
to deal with these extreme cold temperatures outside.

Everyone please be safe and stay warm these next 
couple of days!  There are over 500
delays and school closings in the Columbus
and surrounding areas and the news said
there have been over 40 cases of frostbite
showing up in the ER in the last month.
I hope that everyone has enough food 
til this passes and won't have to go out.  
Yesterday we had to run to Kroger
to pick up a few extra things needed and let me tell ya
the store shelves were looking bare!


10:15am


According to The Weather Channel
it's 2 degrees and feels like -21 degree wind chill.


10:45am


The first cake is in the oven for birthday boy.
The cake mix does a double layer cake
and I have to do two rounds because I only
have one Mary Ann pan.


12:10pm


Both cakes are done.
Cake #1 is a devil's food cake 
with a cheesecake filling and strawberry topping.
Cake #2 is a devil's food cake
with a cheesecake filling topped with
caramel and chocolate covered toffee bits.
The only thing missing is whipped cream before serving :0)





12:45pm


COLUMBUS CITY SCHOOL WILL BE CLOSED ON TUESDAY.


4:45pm







8:45pm


Hubby just got two calls back to back for
frozen pipes and has already left for work.  
He's called another guy for backup.
This just makes me ill to my stomach
worrying about these guys working out
in these frigid temperatures.
I know my hubby's stress levels are through
the roof being on call during this cold snap.
I've read that all this cold air is coming
from the North Pole and is called a Pole Vortex.
The North Pole's cold temperatures
usually circulate and stay up there but 
this time it is dipping down and covering
most of the US.
Right now it is -7 with a -32 degree wind chill.


9:40pm


Hubby called and said they got the pipes unfrozen.
But whose to say it won't happen again or
at another apartment.
One that they worked on tonight was also
worked on earlier today and refroze.
Looks like it's just me and the boys tonight.
Hubby has decided to stay the night
at a coworkers that lives on the property.
It's better than him having to drive back and forth
to work at the moment.
So it's just me and the birthday boy and my
other boy who has just developed diarrhea
and has stomach pains.  Oh goodie,
something else to worry about.
Giving him plenty of fluids and my extra
bottle of Pedialyte which has elecrolites in it
along with Pepto Bismal.
People with diarrhea should go on a B.R.A.T.
diet for a couple of days.
B- Bananas R- Rice A-Applesauce T- Toast.
I have all but bananas.
I know Kroger was out of bananas because
I remember hearing a woman say,
"What, they don't have any bananas?!" really loud in the store.
When I was in the hospital I was put on a
clear liquid diet which consisted of
chicken or beef broth, & jello.
I know there wasn't a whole lotta choices
that's what I remember having.


10:05pm


Here alone with the boys and someone's beating on the
front door at 10:00 at night.  Scared the crap outta me!
Good thing I have a security camera to see
who may be at the door first before opening it.
It was truck driver neighbor wanting to borrow
an extension cord because his semi truck won't
start.  He also wanted to borrow a jumper box
but he's outta luck there when that is in the locked
shed and hubby has the keys.
Ok gonna try to chill the rest of the evening
the best I can and watch some tv with the boys.
Got some Smokey and the Bandit,
Lizzard Lick and Full Throttle Saloon to watch.
Usually there's nothing to watch on tv
but tonight's a good night.


10:30pm


Knock, knock, knock.
Truck driver neighbor is back again.
"do you have a battery charger?"
Ok if you really really need one there's one in the
back of the TA.  BUT you have to remove the car
cover off the back end, then remove 2 pins
holding the trunk on, then remove the trunk lid
to get to it then put everything back.
Now how bad do you need it in this really cold weather?
Pretty bad I guess as I watched him 
go get it on security cameras.

Truck driver neighbor had his truck running
earlier today and I said he should of left it running.
He said the company he works for
gets picky about diesel fuel usage.
Well what in the world are you supposed
to do with a diesel semi truck
when the temps drop this low.
As for myself, I would of left it running
instead of having to go through all of this.
This is not the first time he's borrowed
jumper boxes or battery chargers for that darn truck.

Has anyone else been hearing pops or bangs today.
Earlier today I heard some and thought

it was the recycling truck.  It wasn't.
It was supposed to be recycling day but the 
truck never came.
Anyways I just read from channel 10
that the loud bangs or pops people are hearing
are a rare phenomenon called Frost Quakes.
It's caused by rapid freezing of the ground and bedrock
when temperatures drop to below zero.
Any moisture in them freezes and puts lots of force
on them and causes them to crack in 
an explosive manner.



No comments:

Post a Comment