Sunday, June 23, 2013

6-23-13

8:15am


Making our favorite breakfast casserole this morning.
I've been making this for the past 13 years.
Brown a pound of Bob Evans maple sausage in 
skillet with a little water, drain any grease.
Return to skillet and add in a little Italian dressing
and a bag of shredded potatoes.  Add in seasoning of choice if you like.  I am using Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning, 
salt & pepper. Fry up til golden brown.
You could also add a small onion chopped up.
Crack open about 6 eggs over top of potatoes, stir
and fry a little longer til eggs are cooked.
Serve with shredded cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.
Oh, and don't forget the hot sauce, lol.

On the agenda for today-
Laundry sometime.
Take kids swimming.
Hubby's going to help work on someone's car
at his work while kids are swimming.
Hoping to find some boxes at hubby's work
to start working on the basement once again
and getting it cleaned out.
This has been an ongoing project.
And possibly work on getting a gate made
beside our shed.


2:10pm


Probably won't get to the fence gate today.
It's too hot.  My digital weather station is saying
it's 93.3 degrees outside.
Stopped by hubby's work earlier to help a guy
with working on someone's car.
I brought along some 1" x 3" boards I had so hubby
could use work's miter saw to cut them down for me.
I needed smaller boards like 1" x 1" 
for my dehydrator I'm making.
Need to make tray railings and screen trays with them.
We'll probably take the kids swimming this evening
when the sun won't be beading down upon them
and there's shade at one of the pools.

Whelp I might go drag my wooden box
that I'm making my dehydrator out of and 
bring it up under the carport and start
figuring out how to do everything.


3:20pm


Got my wooden box up underneath the carport
and got what wood I have to use at the moment
all gotten out of the truck.
Here it is laying on it's side
and what I've figured out so far as to how to make it.



These boards will get trimmed down, screwed in and be
used as railings on each side of the box for the trays.
You'll have to kinda picture
 what it would look like in an upright position
with board trimmed down.



Now in between those railings is where
I'll make and slide the screen trays in.
That's what these boards will make,
a 4 sided square with nylon screen over it.



These boards here will make a door on the side.
I saved the hinges and latch from the old door
that was on the front of this wooden box.



I plan to hook up my solar heater to the whole
thing once I wrap it in black, rubber sheeting.
I think I'll add the wood with hose vent to the
small rectangular area on the right side of the box.
Once upright that area would be at the bottom of the box.
The solar heater would supply the hot air
to the box to dehydrate the food.
There is a screen on top of the box that
will ventilate the hot air out of the box.





Right now the solar heater in the shade
and upright position 
is showing 140 degrees inside it.
In the Winter time the sun rays are shorter
so you set it more upright.
In the Summer you will want to almost lay it down
to accommodate the Summer sun rays.
I still need to add bicycle training wheels
to each side of the heater so I can move it around
because it is very heavy!
I also have solar panels and a fan
I can attach to it if need be.




I'm sure it will make more sense to have
photos as I am making it.
I still have a long ways to go before it will be done.

The whole idea of this is to be able to dehydrate
food without using any electricity.
That's a big plus because dehydrators can consume
600 to 1,000 watts an hour and times
that by 6-24 hours each time you use it!
Plus with this big of a dehydrator I can
do MUCH more than your electric dehydrator.
You buy foods when they are in season
and at sale prices and stock up on them
by finding ways to preserve them 
for the off season months when you pay higher
prices and the quality of the food is not that great.
You ever try to buy corn on the cob in the Winter?
Yuck!!
Plus you can use it to dehydrate things from your garden!


10:00pm


Went swimming this evening from 7:30 - 9:00pm.
There was some storm clouds North of us
which dropped the temperature from 90 degrees
to 80 degrees during our visit to the pool
which made it nice.





---










No comments:

Post a Comment