Wednesday, June 12, 2013

6-12-13

7:30 - 8:00am


They are calling for showers/storms 
throughout today into tomorrow.
It's supposed to be hot and humid today at 90 degrees.
I went out this morning and got about 60 bush beans planted
after soaking them overnight.
 I used the end of a wooden spoon handle
to make holes in the ground to plant the seeds in.



And...I finally got around to planting
my two rose bushes.  I know I'm behind with getting this done.
Here we have a yellow Sunsprite Rose.


And a Red Masterpiece Rose.
Yeah, I forgot to add the epsom salt to the hole
when I planted this one and just threw some 
around the outside.


I also went around and spread some epsom
salt around my pear trees.
Last year most all my baby pears blew
off the tree in the super-derecho storm we had :0(
This year I have the most pears I've ever
seen in the 4 years of having these trees.
I hope I don't loose them also.


I got all 4 of my camera batteries charged and ready to go
for our trip.  It would also be helpful to have them
charged up before any major storms should
you have any storm damage and need to
take pictures and document anything for your insurance company!


8:45pm


Yesterday evening we went out and got all the food
needed for our trip.  
I was going to make up a couple boxes of macaroni
and cheese as a side dish to one of our meals
but got to thinking that if I make this ahead of time
the creamy cheesiness will absorb into the noodles
and will make them soggy and won't be as good.  
So I came up with plan B.
I'll make up a box of pasta and pack it in a large
bowl in the cooler.  When we get ready to eat it
in our hotel room I'll pour a jar of cheesy cheddar cheese
over the pasta and warm it in the microwave.
Just and idea I had.



I found a 3 pound pork roast for around $5.00.
Tomorrow I'll put it in the crock and cook it
on high with some seasonings til it starts to fall apart.
Once done I'll shred it up and add a bottle
of bbq sauce to it.  Pack it up in a container for the
cooler with some hamburger buns.
Warm in hotel room to make sandwiches out of.

I priced soupy looking deli coleslaw 
and at $3.00 for a 1 pound container
was ridiculous.  I opted for a package of 
shredded cabbage mix to make coleslaw out of
that was only $1.50.
I plan on putting some coleslaw on top of
our pulled bbq pork sandwiches and didn't
want it to be runny like the ones I seen in Kroger's deli.  
Plus leftovers can
be served as a side dish for another meal.
Here's a recipe for Easy Coleslaw.




9:15am


FYI.  Years ago Walmart took their fabric
section out of many of their stores.
Mom told me the other day that they brought
it all back to our Walmart.
Will have to check into this as I used to
buy some cheap fabric there years ago.


10:35am


Weather radios with batteries...Check!



Candles, lighter and DC to AC power inverter...Check!



Emergency food supply...Check!



Third bag of ice made...Check!



Charging all solar lights...Check!



Getting all laundry done before any
possible power outages...Check!


HERE is a recap from last year on my blog
of the super-derecho that rolled through
with photos and videos along with
the drought and high temperatures we had
during the month of June.


1:30pm


I gave my pear trees a handful of epsom
salt around the base and a watering
of miracle grow.  I also gave the veggies
a little drink on top with miracle grow.
I'm trying to hold off on really watering
anything because I know it's going to rain.
Been filling the watering can with the
rain water collected in the totes.
I have now added another 32 gallon tote to collect
water from upcoming storms.
Hey, people keep throwing them out at hubby's
work and I keep finding them and bringing
them home.  They come in handy for lots of things!
We've cleaned out the gutters since the last
round of rain so it would have to rain
pretty hard for them to overflow into the totes.
Quite possible around here.


2:55pm


One snack I want to make for the trip is brownies.
Here is an easy recipe to make some called 
2 Ingredient Pumpkin Brownies.
No need for water, oil or eggs!
I'll be using a triple chunk brownie mix
I got for .49 cents and canned pumpkin
I found marked down for .39 cents.
Sounds good and quick and easy to make.
I've got some .50 cent marked down frosting to put on them
if I feel energetic, lol.


4:40pm


Got supper started and almost done.
Hubby should be home soon and very happy
that he's now on vacation time.
I got my fridge cleaned out of any science projects
then went ahead and loaded up the dishwasher
and have it going.  Don't need dirty dishes lingering
if there was a power outage.


10:35pm


We went out after supper.  Just up the street
they had it blocked off and you could not pass
through.  A police car sat sideways in the road with
police tape crossing the road.
We had to detour onto another road
and when we did I tried to see what was going on.
I did not see an accident or anything to explain
the secondary road being closed off.
We get up the road to the smoke shop 
where I picked up some cigarette tobacco and tubes.
When I went in I could hear sirens and looked
back to see a large black swat truck fly down Morse Rd.
Then as I was leaving the store another
3 large blue swat trucks were all in a row
heading in the direction of the road blocked off
with sirens and lights going.
Can't say I've ever seen those before.
We leave and head down to the gas station.
Along the way another unmarked grayish black police? car
came racing past us.  He had lights up in his sunvisors.
I still have no clue as to what happened.
I checked the news channel websites and found nothing.
I mean it has me wondering,
is it a kidnapping?  hostage? a barricade situation? what?!

Went out for a McDonalds ice cream Sunday later this evening.
I mowed the front yard and it was hotter than heck outside
and ice cream sounded good.
I got to do some cloud watching while sitting
outside at McDonalds.
They had two tornado warnings North of here.








No comments:

Post a Comment