Monday, April 29, 2013

4-29-13

8:40am


This year I want to learn how to grow some
potatoes in the garden.
I had a few small potatoes with eyes starting
to form from the bag of potatoes I purchased
from the store.  
I inserted 4 toothpicks around the sides
of each potatoes and put them in a 
plastic solo cup in a small cardboard box.
I set the box outside and filled each cup up with water
so it would touch the bottom side
of the potatoes.  


I then cut the tops off of 2 liter pop bottles
and placed them over each cup to keep
them warm and act as a mini greenhouse
because they say we could get frost
up until around May 9th.


I did it this way for now because I don't
have soil or cleaned buckets ready for use.
I'm really hoping to find some tall trash cans to use.

One potato is used for each 5 gallon bucket 
and I'm hoping to use the potato buckets
on the self water rain gutter garden.

I have read that you can get about 10-15 pounds?
of potatoes from one potato in a 5 gallon bucket.


7:40pm


Yeah, I got my small float valve for the 
self watering gutter garden I'm making.
They guy at Indoor Gardens knew exactly
what I wanted and knew about gutter gardening.
It's a hydroponics store so I would
hope he knew all about that.
I got to see a self watering bucket garden
in use in their store.
They had pumps running to it though from a 
water barrel trash can.
It was my first idea for the garden before
deciding upon the gutter garden.
Think of this garden after it's made as a
"Set it and Forget it" garden.





No comments:

Post a Comment