Tuesday, April 23, 2013

4-23-13

3:00pm


Some days I have no idea what to have for supper.
Like today I went through the freezer and
found 4 chicken thighs.  Didn't know what I'd
make with them but went ahead and tossed
them in a crock with some water and seasoning.
This afternoon I rummaged around the pantry
to see what to have with the chicken.
Found a bag of spaghetti and a jar of alfredo sauce.
Then remembered a bag of broccoli in the freezer.
I poured the chicken water from the crock into the pot of water
to boil the pasta in and give it more flavor. 
Soooo, tonight's supper will be chicken broccoli alfredo.
So that my friends is usually how I come up
with suppers.  I start with one ingredient and then
look to see what else I have that sounds good to go with it.


I know I said I wasn't going to do a vegetable garden this year
but now I'm getting a hankering.  Must be the warmer
weather talking to me making me want to spend time
and do something in the yard.
I figure I could plant a few things here and there
in the garden bed I made along the fence since I do not
think the roses are any good that I planted.

I got this arched trellis last year at a yard sale
for $2-$3.  It has white lights attached to it and
I was thinking about removing them and running
some chicken wire (found a roll at a yard sale for $1.00)
around it.  I could then plant some beans, peas and/or
cucumbers to grow up it.   You can get more use out
of smaller gardening spaces by growing some plants
upwards.
            
I also was given about 3 rolls of green snow/safety fence
yesterday from my step-dad.
I could also use this to make a trellis out of.

 I have been thinking about making a
pvc watering system for the fence garden.
Sure would make watering flowers
and veggies much easier.
Most plants, like tomatoes, don't like direct watering on their leaves
so this would be nice to be able to water them
from underneath near their roots.  





 9:00pm


Went to Meijers to see what veggie plants they had.
Their selection wasn't all that at the moment
and what they did have seemed like small plants
so I opted not to get any at the moment.
I usually buy my plants there because they seem
to be the cheapest plus I get a 10% discount on them.

After 1-2 years of looking for strawberry root plants
I finally found some at Meijer!
I have even been to Lowes and Menards
and the only thing they have are actual plants in pots. 
They are Quinault Everbearing Strawberries
which are disease resistant and produce strawberries
in June and again in the Fall.
There's 10 in a package.
The price on the box says $4.49 but they rang up for $3.59
then I had 10% off which made them $3.24.


     
Here are a couple of ideas of what to use
to plant strawberries in.

    
Or you could use gutters.
You can plant things like lettuce, strawberries
onions, flowers and herbs.
Something with shallow roots. 

   




   

No comments:

Post a Comment