Wednesday, April 24, 2013

4-24-13

9:05am


I've been brainstorming as to how to make
a garden that's easy for me to take care of.
My problem is I sometimes forget to water
the garden because of being busy or being
away from home during the warmer weather.
And then I worry about having a higher than
normal water bill due to gardening.
I tried rain barrels on the house gutters but
they were ruined due to cable guys moving them
wanting access to a cable box.

Sooo here is an idea I came up with
to maybe solve any issues I had before.

What if I attached some sort of gutter
to the side of our large shed and use
Would have to fix a few dents on the shed
from tree limbs falling on it during the strong storms we've had. 

   
Our back yard is sloped so that would help the flow of
the water from the water barrel.
I could attach a hose to the trash can and run it down
along the side fence to the garden along the back fence.  
Here you can see the distance from the shed
to the garden bed.



Then to solve the watering problem
I've been learning about how to make
self watering gutter gardens which
I could run along the length of the back fence.    
The only problem
is that to have a self watering gutter garden
I would worry about mosquitos in standing water.
There would have to be a way to keep the water
covered to keep the mosquitos out of it.
 






 Menards has 5" x 10' gutters right now
for $4.89 on sale regularly $6.67.
With their $4.00 rebate it would make each gutter only .89 cents!


12:15pm


I've got some pizza dough going in the bread machine
for supper.  I changed it up a bit and replaced one of the cups
of flour with 1 cup corn meal and added garlic & onion powder
along with some basil and splenda to the dough mix.
  Tonight I am making taco pizzas
with maple sausage,  taco cheese, lettuce,  
tomatoes, black olives & onions on top.
For the sauce I am using a can of chili dog sauce
mixed with the juice from the can of tomatoes. 









3:50pm




Chili dog sauce on homemade pizza crust.


Topped with taco seasoned cheese,
onions, canned diced tomatoes, black olives.
Once baked then will top with lettuce
and taco sauce (packets from Taco Bell I saved).

    

--------


Yummy!

 

9:00pm


Well it figures, I unbury all my flowers and now
we have a freeze warning for tonight.
I almost forgot to cover them all.
I also covered my grapevine which is starting to bloom.



Now I worry about both my pear trees which are in full bloom.
I read they are good down to about 29 degrees.
Anything under that and it could damage the
production of pears this year.
     
 





 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment