Sunday, January 20, 2013

1-20-13

11:10am


Got a load of laundry started and some
Jiffy Yeast Rolls going in the bread machine
on just the dough cycle.
I found the actual recipe on Jiffy's website. 
I'm using the bread machine to do the mixing
and rising for me to make it easier and so I can do other things.

A Jiffy cake mix is only a one layer cake mix.
I have a regular cake mix which makes
a 2 layer cake.  To make this recipe
using a regular cake mix you will
need 1 3/4 cups of cake mix, half the cake mix.
I measured out an entire box to find out
what half of it would be then put the other
half of the cake mix in a zip baggie back in the cake
box along with a packet of yeast for another time. 
The recipe calls for additional flour.
I did it half whole wheat and half all purpose flour.

Once the dough is done you punch it down
and make it into round balls for the rolls
and put it in a pan or dish to rise again in a warm
place.  I used to turn on the oven on low and sit my
dough pan that needs to rise on the back
oven burner which ventilates the oven.
That just seemed like a lot of electric used
to rise bread dough.
So here is a tip to do it for hopefully
cheaper than turning your oven on for an hour.
Set your pan/dish of dough on an electric heating pad
and cover with a towel.


Hubby just springs it upon me that we have a 
wedding to attend to in June.
I'm thinking ok, gives me plenty of time
to search out a gift for his step-sister's daughter,
ok like wouldn't that be his step-niece?
Then comes the question, where is the wedding at?
West Virginia?  What?!  Hmmmm! 
There's at least a 5-6 hour drive round trip
plus the wedding and reception time.
Then a week or two later wants to make
another trip back to Michigan for the NASCAR race?
Then about 3-4 weeks later maybe another out
of state trip?  I say maybe as I haven't thought it out too well
to make that longer trip just yet.  That's more like a 15 or so hour
round trip.  Ok, just shoot me!
In our first 13 years of marriage we never once
left the state of Ohio til last year to go to Michigan.
Now for 14 years of marriage gonna try to
do 3-4 states?  I hope the ole truck is up
to doing this!  It's got like 214-215 thousand miles on it.
But it has a rebuilt transmission,
new alternator, fuel pump and brakes.
It gets regular maintenance all the time
along with oil changes.
Could probably use some fresher tires.
I just don't know.  It will would really put it to the test! 
Last year the fuel pump failed on us right before
the one trip to Michigan.  All during the trip
the transmission acted up and we had it rebuilt 
soon after because it wouldn't shift into gears.
Then I worry about my Crohn's and having
a flare up that could happen making
trips much more miserable.
Stress of planning trips can bring on a flare up.
Trips and gas aren't cheap either!
We're trying to save up Speedway points
to get $100 in free gas again to go to Michigan.
I have read that prices of food and gas WILL go up
this year due to droughts last year that hurt
soybean and corn crops!


1:50pm


Homemade rolls are baked and the tops all buttered.
Now time to put the 1 pound deer burger mixed
with an egg, packet of onions soup mix
and 1/4 to 1/2 bread crumbs into the oven.
400 degrees for 10 minutes.

Yes, I even make my own bread crumbs.
I save heels from all bread loaves
and any bread we deem as stale or hard
in zip baggies in the freezer.
Then put into the food processor to make into
crumbs for recipes.


I even started rounding up ingredients
to make granola, breakfast bars.
Might make these tomorrow.
Kids have the day off school on Monday.



-7 ounce package of fruit & nut trail mix
with peanuts, raisins, dates, soy nuts & sunflower seeds.
$1.00 from Dollar Tree.
-Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips .10 cents
(whole bag was .75 cents marked down)
-can of sweetened condensed milk .50 cents
everything else was found free
or was used from leftovers I had.
-Flaked coconut 
-Dried cinnamon apple chips
-Dried banana chips
-Quick oats
-Granola cereal
-Flax seed
-Sea salt
-Rice cereal

Homemade granola bars are MUCH more
healthier for you than store bought ones!
You decide what to put in them without
all the preservative like store bought.


2:15pm


I turned the heat down today once again to 70.
The furnace has yet to kick on and
the temperature in here is steady at 73.



It's because of good insulation, opening up
blinds to allow sunlight in, solar heater,
running the dryer and baking in the oven.
It's 30 degrees outside and feels like 20 degrees.
The solar heater is about 123 degrees right now.


Right before the sun sets I'll go around
and make sure all curtains and blind are closed
to hold the heat in.  
If it starts to get too cold outside this week
in the single or minus digits then
I might hang some blankets or even thick bath towels
over the windows with clothespins  to help insulate the house even more.  I used to do this to the front and back door
but because I put weather stripping on them recently
I haven't found the need to do so anymore.


3:30pm


Supper's done.
I added some cheese, ketchup and mustard to each burger.
Not too shabby getting 24 burgers out of
a pound of deer burger.
Everyone got 4 little burgers and I had enough
leftover to make 2 work lunches for hubby. 
I made mac and cheese to go with them.
Aren't they cute?
They even tasted like a White Castle burger.



I am patiently waiting to find a cheap cheese slicer
for my block velveeta style cheese.
So for now I'll let ya in on a little secret
of how to cut the cheese, lol, without one.
I take a long piece of unwaxed dental floss,
wrap it around my fingers on both hands
and slice the cheese with it.



4:10pm


Sun is starting to cast long shadows
which is telling me it won't be long before it is
dark outside.  I turned off the fan to the solar
heater about an hour ago.  The bedroom side of the
house is really warm!  Thermostat is still
showing 73 in here and the furnace hasn't come on.
Temperature outside is still about the same as earlier.

Last load of laundry in washer.
I got a bunch of towels in there.
Need a fresh stockpile should I need a few
extras for windows.

Alrighty then, looks like we need to run back
to Kroger.  Forgot the kitty litter yesterday.
Gots to have kitty litter and clean littler boxes!
Will take my coupon for Pillsbury cookies
with me to see if they have any
of that marked down cookie dough left. 

With MUCH colder weather to arrive this week
hubby is checking the fluids in our vehicles.
Make sure to check your oil, antifreeze
and windshield washer fluid and make sure
you have plenty of gas.  You don't want to be
stranded in these types of temperatures!
Gotta add oil to our list of things needed
at the store also.  Hubby's car is low.


5:35pm


I have this little bookshelf in our living room
to hold our movies, games and candles on.
I thought it was kind of a distraction to look at
and decided to take a tension curtain rod
and an old curtain to cover it up to look nicer.




6:15pm


Brrr, and these temps don't include wind chills for tomorrow.
A few light snow showers develop late tonight. Overnight lows will drop to around 20 degrees. Skies will be mostly cloudy Monday with occasional flurries. Temps may briefly rise into the mid 20’s early in the day, before falling into the teens by afternoon. www.10TV.com/weather.
 Monday high 25 low 7
 Tuesday high 13 low 12
 
----------
 






No comments:

Post a Comment