Tuesday, February 5, 2013

2-5-13

8:25am


I am making rotisserie style chicken in my
crock pot today using chicken thighs.

You'll need a sheet of aluminum foil per piece of chicken.
Spray each piece of chicken with cooking spray
and sprinkle with seasoning.
I used garlic powder, onion powder, pepper and poultry seasoning.
Wrap aluminum foil over chicken.



Next either crumple up some aluminum foil balls.
I use empty aluminum cans.
Place chicken on top of cans.
Set crock pot on high for 2-3 hours
then low for the remaining hours.



Half of this chicken will be used towards
some Hawaiian pineapple chicken over rice with veggies.
The other half I might put in a homemade chicken noodle
soup or a pot pie.


9:05am


Well I just reordered my Crohn's medicine
only to find out it went up $13.
Cost without insurance $1,022.67
Cost with insurance now $204.53
Was $191
I've got a 13 day supply left.
The mail order pharmacy says it will
be here in 7-10 days.  I hope so.


2:05pm


I removed chicken from the crock pot.
It's looking good.
I'll work on shredding it up, the sauce and rice
once I return from the bus stop.







3:35pm


I thought this was interesting to know-
Best foods to buy in bulk that will last the longest.

Pasta stored correctly will last up to 3 years.
It will last long if stored in a mylar food bag.

 Rice if stored correctly will last 2 years.
If stored in mylar food bags will last up to 20 years.
White rice has a longer shelf life than brown.

Grains such as lentils, oats, wheat berries, and other whole grains will last from a year to 8 years in regular storage but can last up to 30 years in mylar. This does not include flour.
Dried beans can be stored up to 2 years in an airtight container, however they will last 8-10 years when stored in mylar.
Dried fruit will last up to 5 years when stored in mylar bags, however its normal storage length depends on how it is stored. Regular dried fruit in an airtight container will last several months.
Sugars will last forever when stored in sealed mylar. When stored in an airtight container, it will last for several years. Honey may crystalize but can be restored by placing in the sun or hot water.
Baking supplies like baking soda, baking powder, arrowroot, salt, etc, will last for years when stored in airtight containers.
Flour can be stored in an airtight container and will last up to 6 months before going rancid. It will last longer when stored in the freezer.
 A cheap alternative to buying expensive mylar bags
is to start saving all your potato chip bags, of course
wash and dry them good first.
Seal the bag ends with a clothes iron
or even a flat iron for hair to heat and seal it. 

I am also in the process of learning how to make M.R.E.'s.
Hubby says, what are you a prepper now?
I said not a world disaster prepper but
there has been several times now that
we've gone several days to more than a week
without power and it's very difficult to
find stores or even fast food places open 
or try to decide what to make
and eat during that time without power.
We have an electric stove which is useless
during a power outage but we do have a
gas grill with a side burner.


4:50pm


Suppers almost done.
I got the chicken shredded and in a skillet warming
with some canned pineapple, green, red and yellow bell peppers
and onions.
In one saucepan I have white rice boiling
in water with some teriyaki sauce in it.
and in another saucepan I have the sauce.
For the Hawaiian chicken sauce-

In a saucepan stir all these ingredient together
over medium heat.
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2/3rds cup ketchup
and liquid from a can of pineapple

In a cup of very hot water add 4 Tablespoons
of cornstarch.  Once your above mixture has
simmered for about 2 minutes over medium low heat
then whisk in the cornstarch water to thicken it.
Stir sauce into chicken then serve over rice.
This recipe I used was a combination of
recipes I found. 


5:35pm


Time to eat.
I am actually surprised the kids are eating
something that has a sweet and sour taste like that
and something with vegetables they would
usually turn their noses up to.
My secret was that I cut them up small.



6:15pm


Ewww I just read about Capri Sun having mold in some
of their juice pouches.  And to think I almost bought
a box of them in a mark down bin at Kroger the other day
but decided against it because I didn't think it
was very healthy for the kids and opted for
some 100% orange juice instead.
"WARNING TO ALL PARENTS: my friend Jennifer gave her son a caprisun Saturday and he told her it tasted funny. She took a sip and said it tasted like straight alcohol. Cut it open and it was nothing but mold inside. Evidently, this happens a lot. They say the lack of preservatives leaves them susceptible to fermentation."

If there is any doubt in your mind if a story is true
or not be sure to check it out on Snopes.


No comments:

Post a Comment