Monday, February 18, 2013

2-18-13

12:00pm


I got chicken gizzards in a crock with
a little water and chicken boullion
and in another crock a package of deer burger
with a beefy onion dry soup pouch.
Not sure what I am making out of the
deer burger just yet.  It needed used up 
since it was thawed out in my fridge.

  
Still working on organizing my kitchen more.
I hung my measuring cups and spoons
on the wall behind the stove.
I'm tired of rummaging through drawers trying
to find certain sizes.
I ran out of sticky hooks but left enough
room to put up a couple more for my spoons.

    
Next I moved onto our medicine cabinet
in the kitchen.  I have a tiered shelf in there to
sit medicine bottles on but hubby still manages
to knock bottles over or out of the cupboard trying
to get to them.  And sometimes it gets to be a pain
trying to find something in there.
Last year at a yard sale I found a couple packages
of spice clip holders for .25 cents a pack.
There was 3 spice clip strips in each package.
I used these on the back of the cupboard door
to put OTC meds and prescriptions on.

      
Before with all the meds in the cabinet.


Now hubby can access all his daily meds
on the bottom 2 racks,   
OTC meds like acetaminophin, ibuprofen, heartburn pills and Zicam
on the upper 3rd rack and
all overflow prescription meds on the top rack
since we get three month's supply at one time.   
The reason for the gap in between the two rows
is to allow for the cupboard shelf. 


For me and the kids I have a pill organizer set up for us.
Morning and Noon are for the kids vitamins
in the morning and afterschool.
Evening is my prescription and then bedtime
has my vitamins in it.
It doesn't mean that's when we take them
but I can see that everyone is getting their pills each day.
 Pill organizers are usually cheap.  I got this
one for .90 cents at the thrift store.

  


2:30pm


I've been working on getting all my 5 pound bags of
flour put into bottles for basement pantry storage.
Flour, rice, beans, sugar, etc are foods that can be stored
for long periods of time without going bad
providing you store them properly.
I try to stock up on them when on sale
or I find them marked down.
I've been getting flour for between 
.89 cents to $1.29 a 5 pound bag. 
Flour I don't think would be good stored in
it's paper bag so I started putting them in
plastic 2 liter soda bottles.  Fill them to the
top when possible and tap sides/bottom to release any air.
The more oxygen you can keep out of the bottle the better!
This also prevents moisture, bugs and mice from
getting in your food.  
I still have 4-5 more 5 pound bags to store
but have to wait til I have more pop bottles.
I clean them out and dry them really good
before using to store dry goods in.
You could also do zippered freezer bags
and store in your freezer.  Would be hard for me
to store bags on shelves that are about 3 inches wide though
which is why I chose this method.
Plus plastic bags wouldn't keep rodents out
(not saying I have any but you just never know.
  I've only seen one mouse
in almost 5 years that the cat found and killed.
They do look for warmer shelter in the Winter
so make sure any gaps around your foundation
are sealed up.  I used spray foam filler.  




     






   

No comments:

Post a Comment