Thursday, February 21, 2013

2-21-13

3:55pm


Hubby got off work early (using up some overtime
so he still gets paid) to watch the
Twin Daytona NASCAR races.

I'm in the kitchen starting to make supper
and making 2 strawberry layered cakes
at 3:15pm when hubby comes in and says,
aren't you making supper a wee bit early?
I say, it takes time to make meals and they
aren't done within minutes.   This all should
be done within an hour and a half and be
ready around our normal 5:00 supper time.
He needs to come home early more often if
he thinks supper is done is made in a jiffy!

For supper I am making fish fillets.
 I patted the fillets dry then dredged them through flour.
In a tray I added 2 eggs, a little ranch dressing,
all purpose seasoning, paprika and some flour
to make a thick paste.
After dredging I put the fillets in the batter.
In the food processor I crushed up a box
of croutons.  After dipping the fillets in batter
I covered them with the bread crumbs from the croutons.
To keep the fillets from sticking to a baking
sheet and losing it's breading I put the fillets
on a wired baking rack on top of a baking sheet.
I am also making chicken fried rice with veggies
as a side dish.

        

For the strawberry layered cake-

I sliced up a bunch of strawberries in a bowl
and sugared them with some strawberry flavored
Nestle Quick.  I then made a yellow cake mix
according to package directions and added in 
a little strawberry flavored Nestle Quick to the cake batter.
I am baking them in bundt pans.
Once baked and cooled I plan to slice
the bundt cake into a couple layers and
add cool whip and strawberries to each layer.  
I might reserve one of the cakes
for mom's birthday on Monday and put it together then.
The other one I will have tonight for dessert.  




4:50pm


Supper is done and served.
See I tried to tell hubby it takes time,
I don't just snap my fingers and it magically appears.


Here's a tip for slicing a layer cake evenly-
Poke a couple skewers through each layer you want. 
Then follow the skewers when cutting with a large knife. 



 

 Whelp, I didn't make it through supper without an injury.
I was heating something in the microwave,
went to remove the top to the plastic bowl and scalding hot liquid
flew all over my fingers and the left side of my face.
That's what I get for hurrying to make supper and dessert
in an hour and 45 minutes.


7:10pm


I find hubby in the kitchen holding a Betty Crocker
sugar cookie mix trying to figure out how to make cookies.
I say, without even looking at the packet as I've
made these enough times to know,
you need 1/2 cup butter and an egg.
Before I know it I'm am now mixing and making
sugar cookies for him.
Once done I took some leftover cream cheese frosting
and leftover chocolate frosting, mixed them together,
nuked for about 20 seconds and drizzled on the tops of each cookie.
 I'm also showing my other bundt cake
I made that I am putting back for mom's birthday.
Not sure if I'll do the strawberries & cream thing
with it just yet. 



Taking a break tomorrow providing school isn't
called off due to ice.
Mom wants to go out to breakfast and go
to some thrift stores with me.


8:20pm


Everyone's been healthy here but my mind's been wandering
about any more homemade remedies for colds and flu.
I remember when I was younger mom would slather
on the vick's vapo rub when we had colds.
It was so icky and sticky.  I hated the feeling
of it making my pj's sticking to my clothes after
being rubbed on my chest.
So I wonder if the next time someone gets a cold
I could try to put a gob of vick's rub into one
of my mini crock pots.  Hmmm.
Let it warm the vicks and release the fragrance.      
      






      

          

No comments:

Post a Comment