Wednesday, February 20, 2013

2-20-13

9:00am


Beef jerky is so expensive to buy and that
is why I make my own.
I made all this for $6.71.

 I start out with a package of marked down meat.
Then in a tray I mixed up bbq sauce,
liquid smoke, garlic & onion powder.
1 pkg meat $4.13
1 pkg meat $2.58

   
Cut off any excess fat and cut meat into small strips.

  
Using wax or freezer paper pound out
each strip of meat with a mallot.
Once done coat pieces of meat with sauce mixture.
I dipped the meat with my fingers
making sure to get the sauce into
all the nooks and crannies.
Neighbors probably thought I was adding
a room addition to the house with
all the pounding noise! 


I ended up with 5 trays in the dehydrator.
I think a bag of beef jerky has probably
less meat in it than one of these trays
and costs about $6 or more.   
These taste much better than the store bought
version which can be really tough to chew
and not as flavorful. 




4:20pm


Working on an easy supper of chili bowls.
I took a can of grands biscuits and cut
each biscuit in half to make 16 biscuits.
I then pressed each of those biscuits
over the backside of a cupcake pan
every other one so they don't bake into one another.
Next I'll warm up a can(s) of no bean chili
in a small pot.  Once warmed through
I will then fill the biscuit bowls with chili
and top with cheese and diced onions.
Any leftovers I can put in the freezer for another meal.



 I didn't have enough chili left over to fill
the remaining 8 biscuit bowls so I made breakfast bowls
out of them.  I added a fried egg in the bottom, ranch dressing,
topped with a piece of ham and cheddar cheese.
I'll warm these in the microwave tomorrow
morning for everyone for breakfast.

 
         
 

No comments:

Post a Comment