Tuesday, February 26, 2013

2-26-13

1:15pm


I took mom out to breakfast this morning at Bob Evans
for her birthday.  We split a roast beef hash
and each had a biscuit and honey
with coffee and a cola.

Next we went thrift store shopping.
It seemed most thrift stores around here
was having 50% off the store today.
I did manage to find something I've been looking for!
It's a food vacuum sealer, Seal-A-Meal.
These things go for $50 if not much more new.
This one was $4.94 and today at 50% I paid only $2.47 for it!
Wooo Hooo!
It has the dry and moist setting along with
the accessory for adding a tube to vacuum jars and bags!
Loving it!
I found 2 large boxes of seal-a meal bags
in an apartment last year that I can use with this.
I also have been saving mylar potato chip bags also to 
reuse with this machine to store food in.   

      
At another thrift store (50% off day is tomorrow for them)
I got,
Bath & Body Works Scentbug .99 cents,
Solar powered rose .99 cents,
and something called P3 Animal Chaser
with motion detection $2.99.
I got this because I am tired of stray cats entering
our yard and spraying making things smell terrible.
Plus our cats go nuts when other cats come around the house.

      
 Lastly mom wanted to go to Dollar Tree.
I started buying supplies to make homemade MRE's
(Meals Ready to Eat) for our emergency supplies.
Another reason for the food vacuum.
I am mainly making these for when we have power
outages, which we seem to have had a lot 
in the last couple of years.
You need meals that don't need cooked or refrigerated
and maybe some that are lightweight should you have
to travel.  Some food items will require water to make.
 When the power goes out it's not like you
can run to the store or fast food joints looking for
your next meal.  Slowly but surely I would like to make
a week's worth of MRE's for the four of us in our family.
They each will include breakfast, lunch and supper along
with drinks and snacks.
I spent forever in Dollar Tree reading nutritional labels
looking for things that weren't loaded with sugar
and had vitamins and what not in them.
 Here is what I got to start with
a couple of things I already had in my pantry.
Start off slow and each week buy a couple
dollars worth of things to make your MRE stockpile. 


7 Single serve boxes of cinnamon oatmeal squares cereal.
(got free at a yard sale)
6 pack oat and honey granola bars $1.00
4 pack cinnamon applesauce cups $1.00
Fruit snacks with 100% vitamin C $1.00
12 pack toaster pastries .50 cents
6 count (2 boxes) instant chicken noodle soup $2.00
4 cans Vienna sausages $2.00
Bag of sunflower seeds $1.00
5 pack of roasted peanuts $1.00
10 pack Wyler's drink pouches $1.00
8 pack peanut butter crackers $1.00
Swiss Miss hot chocolate packets- Free     


Supper tonight will be goulash as requested by my son.

 Things I'm throwing together-
1 pound deer burger (free)
2 boxes mac & cheese ($1.00 Family Dollar)
1 large can tomato soup ($1.00 Dollar Tree)
1 can diced tomatoes (.29 cents Kroger)
1 packet onion soup mix (.33 cents Dollar Tree)
1 packet spaghetti sauce mix (.50 cents Dollar Tree)    

TOTAL COST TO MAKE  $3.12


For the kid's after school snack I will
give them a small bowl of leftover chicken noodle soup
with goldfish type crackers 
(from Dollar Tree called Whale Fish crackers) 


5:50pm


Time to eat.
Made a big pot of Goulash.





    
  

 
             
      

No comments:

Post a Comment