Wednesday, October 9, 2013

10-8-13

6:00am


42 degrees outside and 71 degrees in the house
with no furnace on.
In the 30's on the outskirts of Columbus.
Still not feeling up to par this morning.
Feeling a little nauseous and my body is still throbbing.
I ate one of my homemade breakfast bars
to get a little something in my belly
and I took some Vitamin D3 and Omega 3 Fish Oil supplements.
(which I threw back up)

I have been wanting to check out a newer
grocery store called Saraga International Grocery.
I want to check out their prices on meats,
veggies and spices (like turmeric).
I have heard that they have better prices
than other main grocery stores.


I see Save-A-Lot, a place I don't visit too often,
is having their $1.00 sale.
Now I do like to go and pick up some
of their ground sausage at that price.
They aren't exactly a pound but I can't complain about the price.
Here's a recipe to make 18 sausage patties
from 2 pounds of sausage, you can add your
own seasoning of preference.



1:00pm


I took my nap earlier than usual
since I didn't feel with it today.
When I don't feel good I get an overwhelming
feeling of tiredness.
I know my body's wanting to flare up from Crohn's.
At first I thought it was PMS symptoms
but as the days go by I know it's not that.

Now I'm working on a grocery list for next week.
Hoping to spend no more than $25 to $30!

Here's the menu I have planned out 
(if I can find the $1.00 sausage at Save-A-Lot
because sometimes they either don't have the
sale items or are sold out!)
And just because something says breakfast
in the title doesn't mean it's for breakfast.
When and where I can I hope to be able
to double some recipes for the freezer.
I'm thinking come December & January
we're going to be eating those freezer meals
to cut back even further on spending money.
Right now I'm just trying to get my stockpile
of freezer foods saved up for it.

-Fried Cabbage with smoked sausage & potatoes.
(still have smoked sausage in freezer)
-Sausage gravy & biscuits
-Sausage patty, egg & cheese sandwiches
on homemade rolls
-Lasagna casserole 
-Breakfast Casserole with sausage, egg, cheese & biscuits
-Breakfast Casserole with sausage, egg, cheese & hash browns
-Meatloaf (sausage mixed with 2 hamburger patties)
-Goulash with past shells, diced tomatoes, cheese
-Tacos or taco salad
-Crab chowder with imitation crab, corn, 
sausage flavored gravy, potatoes & cheese.


I'm hoping by not running the air conditioner
or the furnace that I'll catch somewhat of a break
on my utility bills come next month so it
won't be as big of a burden as it has been.
Right now my gas bill is running $25 to $27 and
would like to keep it that way a little while longer.
During really cold Winters it can run $130 to $150 a month.
The electric bill has been stupid and I hope
it starts going down!!
I really need to go around this house and
do an electric inventory to see where we can cut back.
I thought about putting some things on power
strips (like tv, dvr, surround or tv's with game systems,
and go around each night and flip the power strip 
button to completely shut them off.)
Power is still being used by some things
when plugged in even though they are turned off.
Think of things that use remotes or have clocks on them
like tv's, clock radios/stereos, surrounds, dvr,
game systems, microwaves, coffee pots, etc)
I already have my chest freezer on a timer
of 12 hours on and 12 hours off.
I might up that some during the cold Winter months
since the basement has no heat and I think
the freezer would be ok not running
for longer periods of time .


I have been trying to get up the balls to go to my favorite
Kroger store and ask them what they do with their 
expired food.  I know back when growing up
there was an eldery lady that I would go with to Kroger
and we'd pick up a bunch of their expired food from
inside the store for FREE!  We would have her car packed to the hilt with food from breads to all kinds of produce.
I say inside because
I don't want you to think we were dumpster diving
food!  I know some places will go around and collect
Kroger expired foods and give them away 
at senior centers and churches.


2:15pm


I just took a couple ibuprofen for throbbing pain.
I had taken acetaminophin when I awoke this
morning but it didn't seem to help.

Almost time to pick up the boys from the bus stop.
I got their snack bars ready and I made a couple
of kool aid pops from carbonated water
from the Sodastream maker.
I put 3/4 cup water in a bowl and mixed
about 3/4 to 1 cup splenda (aldi brand)
and 1 packet of kool aid together.
Then you slowly pour it into the carbonated water.
I stress slowly because it will fizz up on ya.
Once in the bottle put the cap on and
gently rock the bottle back and forth to
mix it.
Now I'll test it on the kids when they get home
to see if they like it.  I hope so because 
I have a ton of kool aid packets!
I did one in punch flavor and the other a lemon-lime.


3:00pm


The diagnosis is in.
I gave the kids a small glass of carbonated kool aid
which they thought was eh, ok.
Then I mixed half carbonated kool aid
with half diet Kroger citrus drop
and they liked that much better.
So to stretch out the pop use around here
I will mix 2 liters of carbonated kool aid
with 2 liters of pop.
So it would be like stretching a 2 liter of pop
into 2 two liters.
There's still no corn syrup or sugar to worry about.
It's all sugar-free!


3:20pm


An hour later after taking ibuprofen and
I still don't have any relief from the all over body throbbing pain.
These flare ups suck!
I have to somehow keep going.
Like tomorrow mom's taking me to Easton
and then Walmart or Meijer so I can 
get the kids their Echinacea/Zinc and Vitamin C gummies.
I can't risk kids getting sick from the germs
floating around their school this time of year!
Then those sickies get passed around to different family members.
It's so worth buying their vitamins and what not to
try and keep it at bay or avoid it!
Mom's all over me about getting flu shots for the kids
and myself.  I don't have the time nor energy to explain
to her why we don't get them.  Now hubby on the other hand
is an adult and his own person and it's his
choice to get one or not.
To me I think they are a bad idea after all
the research I've done about them.

Friday there's a church sale mom wants to go to.
I'll go to see if I can find anything for Christmas gifts.
That would have to come out of our Christmas savings though.
I feel like total crap and I know hubby will want
to go on a walk tonight.
You just don't know how hard it is for me some days
to keep pushing forward when I don't
have hardly any strength or energy to do it.
I know it's been awhile since I had a Crohn's flare up
and that I am thankful for, for being able to
go this long amount of time!!
I would so love to be able to find me some supplements
such as turmeric and/or moringa.
Maybe I could borrow money from mom til Friday to
get some.  Anything for helping me with Crohn's!!!


So now I'm thinking about starting supper.
I have 4 hamburger patties to make meatloaf with.
How can I stretch that even further to possibly 
make 2 meatloafs??
What about making mashed potato meatloaf?
You fill half your loaf pan with meatloaf leaving
then fill with mashed potatoes
and top with more meatloaf covering the potatoes.
I've made it before so we'll see if I can get 2 loaves out of it.


4:00pm


I got a large pot of cubed potatoes with skins
boiling on the stove.  I figured why just not cut up
almost the entire bag all at once rather than
doing this several times using more and more electric?!
I'll have potatoes to make mashed potato meatloaf,
and some potatoes to put in the freezer for crab chowder
I also left behind 4 potatoes to have "baked"
microwaved potatoes as a side dish to a meal.
To keep potatoes or pasta from boiling over when
making them use a wooden spoon laid over top the pot!
Now will work on making the meatloaf while
those are cooking.


5:00pm


I got 2 meatloafs made!
Both are in the oven now.
It will be served with a side of bread & butter
and some corn.



---








No comments:

Post a Comment