Friday, October 18, 2013

10-18-13

7:40am


41-42 degrees outside and 68 degrees inside our home.
The humidifier has helped to make the air
feel warmer in here.
Humidity is 60% in the house.
Still have not turned the furnace on.
Last years gas bill was $54 for 11/1
this year's gas bill for 11/1 is $27,
half of last years.



8:50am


I went ahead and baked up the 4 pizza pie doughs
I made the other day.
I still need a few ingredients from the store to 
put them together like shredded cheese.
I was thinking about doing a taco pizza pie
with fried sausage, cheese, taco seasoning &
tomatoes topped with lettuce and sour cream.


2:30pm


Kids are complaining the house is cold at 68 degrees.
First of all I told them to put some clothes on.
Shorts and no shirts aren't cutting it around
here when you tell me you are cold without
first putting on the propper attire.
I fired up the oven and got a large pot
of potatoes boiling on the stove.

I peeled all my potatoes this time around
as requested by the kids.
I got to looking at all those potato skins
thinking it's such a waste to throw them away
so I searched for a recipe that I could
possibly make with them.
Parmesan Potato Skin Chips.
I won't be making them now so I put the skins
in a bowl of cold water with some
lemon juice to soak to preserve them better. 
I'll drain here in a few
then pack them up for the freezer.
Me and hubby might want a treat some 
night of potato skin chips maybe with
a sprinkling of cheddar cheese on top also.

Anyways back to the potatoes.
I'm gonna mash some up for one of those
pizza doughs and make a shepherd type pie with it
and put mashed taters on the top of a meat and
vegetable filling.
Some will go towards a potato soup
hubby has been requesting.
The rest will be used in a beef (maybe bbq pulled pork)
stew type pizza pie with potatoes and carrots.
I did reserve 3 very large potatoes 
to have as baked potatoes one night.

So even though 10 pound bags of potatoes
seem costly at $3 to $4 a bag they go far in our home.
My bag of potatoes will have gone for
5 meals at $3.00 a 10 pound bag is .60 cents
going towards making each of those meals.


In about 20-25 minutes between boiling potatoes
and turning the oven on (now off) with door open,
I have increased the temperature in our home
from 68 degrees to 72 degrees,
a 4 degree difference.
That should hold good for the rest of the night.
Everyone has stopped complaining
about being cold now.








No comments:

Post a Comment