Sunday, October 6, 2013

10-6-13

9:35am


It was nice to get away yesterday and go visit
the in-laws for about 7 hours.
I've got a mother & father-in-law on one street,
a brother & sister-in-law on the next street over
and a brother-in-law the next past that.
These aren't city blocks.  You can almost
walk to each house they are that close together.
The golf cart or car gets you to each home
in about a minute.

My mother-in-law gave me a bag of food which
will be helpful around here with making meals.
Just gotta use my imagination to see what
meals I can create.

She gave me-
-4 pounds shell pasta
-1 pound wheat egg noodles
-2 pound spaghetti
-2 pounds rice
-1 pound pinto beans
-2 pounds powdered sugar
-can of carrots
-box of corn flakes
-17 travel size John Frieda hair volume spray.
She works at a fancy hotel as a person who sets
up and serves buffets for private dinner parties and conventions.
Wouldn't ya just love to be able to get hold
of all that leftover food?!

Mom-in-law always gives me plain jane cereals.
I take them because those cereals can be used
for coatings of chicken or toppings of casseroles.
I plan on buying a cheap bag or box of cheap frosted flakes
and mixing them with the box of regular
corn flakes my mom-in-law gave me to stretch it out further.
Plus it cuts down on the amount of sugar in the cereal.

When I make casseroles for the freezer that
have a crunchy bread topping I place the bread or
cereal crumbs in a separate sandwich zip
bag and place them inside the gallon zip bag
with the casserole in it.

Ok now I'm trying to figure out some meals/
freezer meals to make out of the pasta,
beans and rice I have a bunch of.
Here's some I've come up with so far.

(might replace broccoli with another veggie or veggies since it doesn't seem to agree with my belly)
-Taco rice casserole.



12:30pm


Just returned from Kroger.
We spent $26 for our weekly groceries.
I found hamburgers patties marked down 
and spent $9.00 for 4.5 pounds.
That equals $2.00 a pound.
I plan to make meatloaf, salisbury steaks
and meatballs out of it.
I'll use rice and/or oatmeal as fillers to
stretch the meat further.

The meatballs will be used on slider buns
as sandwiches.  I found 2 bags of a dozen slider
buns at Kroger marked down to .59 cents each.

We needed milk and as most of you know
milk runs about $2.79 a gallon not on sale.
We usually buy 2 gallons at a time.
Today at Kroger I found half gallons of milk
for .69 cents each!
So spent $2.76 for 2 gallons.
It was like I got two gallons for the price of one!

When you are about broke you will find
ways of making things with what you already
have or can find really cheap.


Last week hubby found a Honda Civic 
fiberglass hood left in an apartment.
We had another maintenance guy bring it to our house.
We were told it's about a $500 hood so 
are going to try to sell it on Craigslist
for about half that just to make an extra buck.

Ya Do What Ya Gotta Do With What Ya Got To Do It With
To Survive!!

My ole mind starts working overtime
with ways to get by, how to stretch things and how to make
an extra buck.

So here's my next tip I might try.
I remember doing this many, many years ago
to stretch pop further.
I used to add a pitcher of kool aid
to a 2 liter of pop to stretch it further.
I might make up some carbonated water
with the Sodastream and mix lemon lime kool aid into it
then mix with with some Kroger Citrus Drop.
Instead of sugar I plan on using Aldi brand Splenda.
I have a whole container of it in the basement pantry.
Hubby didn't like it in his coffee so I just stored
it in the pantry til I found another use for it.
I try not to let a whole lot of things go to waste around here.
If I have leftovers, no matter how big or small,
 it goes in the freezer or pantry to be used in something else.


7:30pm


Working on laundry.  Not very energetic today.
My whole body has been throbbing and my stomach feel raw
and is throbbing also.
I laid down and took a nap earlier.

While in the basement working on laundry and
getting all the dry food goods put into jars and
onto the pantry shelf I went through and
counted how many freezer meals I have so far.
I think I have somewhere around 21 meals.
I'm guessing because I don't remember
how many I put in mom's freezer.

I have some bananas that need used up.
The kids ate some on nutella sandwiches.
I let the rest get really ripe to bake with.
I found a couple boxes of bran & dates muffin
mixes in my pantry I think I'll use them in.

So tomorrow when the kids are in school
(and if I feel well enough) I'll be mixing cereal up.
I got 2 large boxes of frosted flake type cereal
at Menards for $1.99 each and I have 
2 large boxes and 1 bag of cornflakes that I got free
to make about 5 pounds of cereal for $3.98!

Then I've got bran, date and banana muffins to make.
Might use those for after school snacks.

And last will make up a large batch of
hamburger for meatloaf, meatballs and salisbury steak.
Hoping to get enough meatballs made for
meatball sliders and spaghetti & meatballs.












No comments:

Post a Comment