Wednesday, August 28, 2013

8-28-13

7:45am


There is an advantage to getting up earlier now.



8:30am


Got a load of laundry going in the washer and dryer.
Then went outside and washed up a bunch of crates.
Then decided to go down in the basement and
defrost the chest freezer.  It hasn't been
defrosted since moving here!
I still use a timer on it to help on electricity costs.
  It will run 12 hours during the day
and at night will shut off for 12 hours.

I remembered while out on a call the other day
at hubby's work he had a broken refrigerator 
that had an ice clog in the freezer 
not allowing the fridge part to keep cool.
He used a heat gun to remove the ice.
I don't have a heat gun at home but
got out my hair dryer and used that to 
remove the ice.  Sometimes I'd close the lid
with my arm stuck in the freezer with
the hair dryer to help hold some of the heat
inside to help melt it all.

In 10 minutes or less the sheets of ice
on the sides of the freezer fell to the bottom
which was covered with towels to absorb any water
and to catch ice.
Now since I had all the food out of the freezer it
was time to better organize it.  It sucked
having to remove each item to get to things
in the bottom of the freezer.
This is where the crates, small plastic totes
and a couple fabric totes come in.
I put all the food in them.
I managed to get 3 plastic crates
and two small plastic totes in there.
Then there were a couple of gaps around
the sides that would not accommodate 
any more plastic totes or crates so
that's where the fabric totes fit in.


Now when I need something I won't have
to dig around in the freezer.  Just pull out
the crates to get to things!
Each tote or crate is organized into categories
like breads, meats, fruits & vegetables and
already made meals.


---

No comments:

Post a Comment