Friday, April 18, 2014

4-18-14

9:00am


Yesterday I was racking my brain trying
to figure out what kind of food I could make
to take to our friend's memorial since there
is a pot luck after it.
Isn't it funny that when we go to bed at night
and lay there with our thoughts running
through our heads is when the ideas come to us.

Earlier yesterday my friend had called and asked
if I wanted a bunch of peppers and onions.
She brought them down for me and I got
all the bell peppers washed and cut up
and was going to put them in the freezer.
I just left them out overnight to dry.

Well I got the idea to make a large 
stuffed pepper casserole with them.
The answer to my question had been sitting
right under my nose the whole time lol.
Make use of what you've got and have on hand.


6:35pm


I feel like I have been going non stop today since I got up.
Got up and wasn't up very long when I had to take mom
to Honda to pick up my step-dad who dropped his car off.
Got back home and we went to
Chestnut Ridge Park which is in Carrol, Ohio
and hiked up a hill which was very strenuous on our legs
and bodies.  Much steeper hills than what is out
at Hoover!  On our return trip we had to stop by Kroger
to get some things for my potluck casserole.
Once back home I got the casserole started
when mom called.  I had to take them back
to Westerville to pick their truck up.
While I was doing that hubby had a guy come
over and buy the torque converter we listed on Craigslist.  
He just took some pics of a honda racing hood
and will be posting that soon on there as well.
Returned back home and are now still working
on making that darn casserole or maybe I should
say casseroles because I am making a lot.
A couple for the potluck (or one really large one for a crowd)
and one for us.
Here is my recipe I threw together.

Stuffed Pepper Casserole

3 green bell peppers cut up (free)
2 red bell peppers cut up (free)
1 large onion cut up (free)
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (free)
a couple cloves garlic grated (.20 cents)
2 pounds bob evans maple sausage ($5.00)
4 boxes spanish rice-a-roni ($4.00)
1 carton beef broth ($1.67)
seasonings:  oregano, garlic powder, basil, salt, pepper (free)
1 can spaghetti sauce ($1.00)
1/2 block of queso cheese (free)
2 packages of shredded cheese ($3.98)
little bit of worcestershire sauce, steak sauce & hot sauce.
Taco seasoning to taste (free)

put peppers, onions, tomatoes, sausage,
seasonings, sauces in
crock and cook til done.
Stir in queso cheese til melted.

In a skillet make up rice-a-roni
(I did each box one at a time rather than 
trying to make them all at once.)
Each box called for 2 cups of water.
I replaced one cup of water with beef broth.
Do not add tomatoes that the box calls for
because you already have some in the crock.

Once everything is done mix sausage & peppers
and rice together.  Spoon into a greased casserole dish.
Top with shredded cheese and bake 350 degrees til warmed through
and cheese is bubbly or golden brown on top.


Then in between making the casseroles I had
to make a quick supper of bbq rib sandwiches with chips.
Other than the ride in the truck today I haven't been
able to sit down and chill til just now!
I still want to run to the thrift store
to look for a nice dress.  I didn't find one the other day.
Then tomorrow morning we're getting up
early and heading to the thrift store and Walmart.
Then come back home, get the casseroles
baked and off to the memorial in the afternoon.
Calgone take me away!!!


10:00pm


Went to the thrift store earlier tonight.
I did not find a dress I liked.
I'm just gonna have to go through what I have
and find something else nice to wear tomorrow.
No dress though, just pants and a sweater
and some high heeled shoes.
Now often do I wear high heeled shoes,
uh like never.
My legs are killing me from our hike today
so I can only imagine what they and my feet
will feel like tomorrow.

At the moment I am waiting for my pepper casseroles
to cool down some before putting in the fridge.
I sauted up some more onions and green bell peppers
to put on the top before I sprinkle the shredded cheese on it.  
I didn't feel as though it had enough peppers.
While making some foods you have to keep tasting
it to make sure it has enough seasonings or whatever.
That's what I've been doing and that's not good
right before bed, especially pepper casserole.
I now have heartburn!   Ahhhh!








No comments:

Post a Comment