Friday, December 20, 2013

12-20-13

8:30am


You would have thought it was Christmas day
due to the kids getting up at 5:30am or earlier!
It's the last day of school before Christmas so
I'm sure it will be a much easier day for them
and then they get to look forward to getting
out a half hour early.

Today should be an easier day for myself as well.
Yesterday I made pumpkin bread.
I originally made just enough for hubby's 
coworkers in his maintenance department
then I found out about the card everyone got us
and had to make much more to include the office
folks at his work to show our thanks to them.
It wasn't much but they always look forward
to me sending in goodies this time of year.
I stayed up late getting the rest of these made.
It's a pumpkin bread done in a mini bundt pans.
They were then drizzled with a maple caramel
and then a cream cheese drizzle and sprinkled
with a little Christmas cheer to make them look festive.
They are about the size of a jumbo cupcake
and I think I made about 17 of them total along
with little gift bags for just the maintenance workers
which included a packet of hot chocolate,
a chocolate dipped marshmallow with mint
and a couple of homemade somoa cookies.



This weekend I will work on some more pumpkin
bread and cookies for neighbors and friends.
Plus I have a 10.31 pound ham I want to start
brining for Christmas dinner.  I've never brined a ham before
and got the idea off tv.  

3 two liter bottles of coke or dr. pepper,
1 1/2 cups kosher salt,
Score the entire surface of the ham in a diamond
pattern just down to the skin.
Submerge ham into the above mixture for 1-4 days.
Remove from brine, rinse and dry before baking.
Then about 30 minutes before done baking
I'll start glazing it with a mixture of
12 ounce jar orange marmalade,
1/2 cup dijon mustard,
6 garlic cloves,
1 cup light brown sugar packed,
1 teaspoon ginger,
1/4 cup orange juice.
Process in food processor
and pour over top of ham.


Here are some photos of when I got out of the
hospital a week ago.  I was pretty bruised up
from all the needles they poked into me.
They did not want to use the same veins twice
so I was poked in several places including the kink of
my elbows, forearms and hands (least favorite).
Then there was two IVs in my right arm.






Well it's only 9:00am and I think I'm gonna go lay
down and take a nap before two weeks
of kids being out of school and almost
a week of hubby being on vacation for Christmas.
Need some quiet down time for now.
I just took a handful of meds and they sometimes
make me feel funny.
Tonight me and hubby are going to his work
to cut up his scrap metal he's been collecting
and get it ready to take to the scrap place tomorrow morning.
Might stop by a thrift store to look for a couple
outfits for the boys for Christmas.
I had thought about using the money on the Walmart
gift card to buy them new clothes but for the price
of one shirt I could get them each a couple of outfits
at the thrift store.



9:10pm


I don't know what the deal was this afternoon
but I felt a little woozy and shaky for the longest time.
I laid down on the couch some after picking the kids
up from the bus stop.
I feel ok at the moment.  Will be glad to sleep in a
little tomorrow morning before heading off
to the scrap metal place.
Can't overdo it and try to pace myself when I can.
But the clock's a ticking and I still have so
much more to do like bake, wrap ALL gifts,
shop for a couple more gifts, and
get my ham brining for Christmas.
I got regular cherry Coke to brine it in.

Oh, hubby said the people 
at his work made this comment today about me
that I thought was funny and made me smile,
"She (me) is the most popular one here at work
and she doesn't even work here"
LOL







No comments:

Post a Comment