Tuesday, May 13, 2014

5-12-14

7:15pm


I like thunderstorms I just don't like when
we get lightning storms like early this morning.
It woke me up a couple times.
The third strike was really close,
really loud and took out power from about 
4:45 to 6:30.  And yup I've been up since 4:45am.

We had a nice Mother's Day weekend at the lake.
Got up Saturday morning and the people showed
up to buy the truck.  After that we went to Kroger
to get some things for our cooler for the weekend.
We needed gas so hubby goes to Speedway
on Morse Rd.  He pumps the gas and I go into the store with
my one son.  When we came back out I say,
"do you smell something burning"  My son says, "yes".
Didn't think much about it til we got in the truck
at the gas pump and my son points to a 
telephone pole at the BP gas station beside Speedway.
The cross bar at the top of the pole was smoking
pretty good.  We drove around to check it out.
We weren't sitting very far away from it to see
that it started having flames coming from it.
I'm looking around like, doesn't anyone else but us
see this going on??!!
I call 911.  I tell them that the telephone pole is on fire,
making weird noises and has three transformers on it.
It started to make a buzzing and electrical noise
and I ask hubby if we should back up away from it.
The fire department says, "ma'am, you should
get away from it and back up!"  Didn't even
get backed up but a couple of feet and this VERY LOUD
ZZZ-zzzz-zzzzz electric zapping sound emitted
from that pole and KABOOOM!
The sky filled with nothing but a whitish blue flash.
We couldn't see anything in front of our faces
at that moment it was so bright.
I'm pretty sure the fire department on the phone
didn't need me to explain any further after
hearing that and said, "we'll be right out!"
5 minutes later they showed up and by that
time the fire had put itself out from the explosion.
It took out the power to the gas stations and 
surrounding homes.
That...was a little too close for comfort
to see something exploding right in front of us!!!
Photo from the scene.
We were sitting on the left side of the 
4 concrete squares leading out of the BP gas station.
The telephone pole that was on fire
and blew transformers is located
to the right of the white house behind the bush.

You can see the charred wood on top
the telephone pole.

I video taped the fire truck showing up
and me talking to them.
I didn't think to video tape the fire before the explosion
at the time because I was on the phone to 911.
That would have been one heck of a video if I did!!
It was so intense my son in the back seat said,
"I almost said a cuss word!"  LOL.

If you ever saw Storm Chasers on Tv I kept
referring to the show where Reed Timmer
kept telling the crew to put the car in reverse
and "BACK UP!!!!"
I kept telling hubby to BACK UP when I heard
loud electrical buzzes coming from the pole.
I didn't feel as though he was backing up fast enough!
He had only backed up a couple of feet and BOOM!


After all that we finally headed out to the lake.
It was pouring down rain til we got out
of Columbus.  It didn't rain at the lake
at all Saturday and turned out pretty nice.
Sunday morning was foggy but no rain til
about 4:30pm.  We had left around 5:00pm
after the rain had cleared up.  No rain all the way home
but I guess it started down pouring at the lake again
for about an hour or so after that.


Hubby is on vacation this week so we're trying to
get caught up with doing things around the house
and going to a couple of places to enjoy our
quiet time together before Summer break begins.
We are on the hunt for a couple different tomato
plants.  I guess hubby and a couple of guys
at work are having a competition to see who
can grow the biggest tomato.
I'm looking for 4 pack flats not the individual ones
of Beef Steak Tomato plants.
I would also like to find Sweet Cherry 100's
and put them in hanging baskets.
Not having much luck at nearby stores
so are hoping for some at the flea market
in the near future.

I checked back to last year on my blog and
saw that I purchased flats of veggies
at Meijer April 30th.
Well I am here to tell ya that we stopped
by Meijer yesterday and they didn't have
any flats of veggie plants like previous years.
What is up with that.  I can't find them anywhere.
I do not want the single pots of plants
and that seems like what everyone is selling.





No comments:

Post a Comment