Tuesday, November 27, 2012

11-27-12

ThurT
7:20am


Well the humidifier seemed to help last night.
My son didn't wake up sounding like he had
a frog in his throat.

I saw a couple snow flurries this morning.
Nothing major though.  Temp was about 34-35 degrees.

With 6 days of non stop commotion it seems
pretty quiet here this morning with everyone
off to work and school.  Got the DVR playing
trying to get caught up on my missed shows
since before Thanksgiving.  The great thing about
the DVR is you can fast forward through all
those commercials.  There's so many commercials
these days that I plum forget what show I was even watching.


9:25am


I got 9 more pieces of foam pad cut for the ducts.
3 (15.5 inch) will go around the cool air duct.
The other 6 pieces (18 inch) will be a second layer to
go around the first layer of the warm and cool ducts if I need it.
I think I'm going to have to replace the insulation
panel I have in the window holding the vents
because it is bowing from the weight with the foam
wrap around the ducts.  I might go with my original
idea of using a piece of wood. 



1:50pm


I wound yarn around the foam padding I put
on the duct yesterday.  The duct tape was temporary to hold the foam in place.  I had a large bag of yarn I use
for different projects I picked up at a yard
sale a couple years ago for a buck so figured
I'd put a ball of it to use.

 The solar air heater is holding 175 degrees of heat today.
I turned our furnace inside down to 68 degrees
at about 10:00am this morning.
I'm only running one fan to push the air
from the house into it.
The indoor furnace has not kicked on for 4 hours now.
It's 39 degrees with a wind chill of 33 degrees outside right now.
Mostly sunny outside with a couple of small, fluffy clouds. 
I also have the humidifier running on the lowest speed
which also helps to keeps the house a little warmer
by adding humidity to the air.
So between a 74 watt humidifier
and a small 4 inch fan running the solar heater 
to help warm the house
it sure is much much cheaper
than running a 750 to 1500 watt space heater
or cranking up the indoor furnace to higher temps.



3:00pm


This past weekend I bought a couple
coffee cakes from Kroger that were marked down
hoping to give them to the kids for breakfast.
Each of these so called gourmet "cakes" were normally $5 each
marked down to $1.50 each. 

Well they tried them this morning and complained
they were too tough to eat.  They aren't actually
cakes but made from like a roll dough which
would explain it.  I don't want to waste them
so came up with the idea of cutting the cakes up
into small cubes and putting them in a couple
9x9 casserole dishes.  Then pouring an
egg mix over top to make a french toast casserole.
I'll make everything tonight and then 
bake them tomorrow morning before waking everyone up.
By letting them sit overnight in the fridge will
give the eggs some time to soak up into the cake.


3:15pm


In another 15 to 30 minutes I'll be shutting off the fan
to the solar heater and plugging them up for the night.
I put an old (clean!) sock over one and plug the other with
a piece of insulation panel.  This time of day I start losing the
sun to it with it starting to set.
Right now the solar heater is at 125 degrees.
I thought it did pretty good today.
I went 5.5 to 6 hours with no furnace on in the house today!
Right now it's 38 degrees and feels like 35 degrees.
That had to of saved some money on the gas bill.
Let's hope for some more sunny or partly sunny days! 


4:00pm


I made 3 french toast casseroles.
2 small ones for breakfast tomorrow and Thursday
and a larger one for the weekend.
The cakes I used had a glaze, cinnamon
and pecans pieces on them.
I didn't have any milk so when whisking up the eggs
I added a little water to them along 
with a powdered hazelnut coffee creamer
and poured that over top.  Then I used
my hands to mix everything really good.


Tonight for supper I'm making
Chicken Spaghetti.
I have breaded chicken patties that will
be served over top spaghetti topped
with sharp cheddar cheese and fried fresh mushrooms.
I'm using leftover spaghetti sauce from
making meatball subs last night.
If I find I don't have enough sauce I'll
add a can of tomato soup to it to stretch it out.


7:40pm


Had to run to Kroger to get some basic stuff.
They had dinner rolls marked down to .25 cents each.
I bought 8 packs because I use them to make
breakfast sandwiches out of them and then put in the freezer
til needed.  I also needed eggs due to using all the ones
I had on french toast casseroles.  Well they had
dozen large eggs for .99 cents manager special.
I got three dozen.  I love the after holiday mark downs
and keep my eyes peeled for them when shopping.




Starting in December hubby's work has to look after
a new property not far from where he works,
about 2 miles maybe.  Just until they find 
maintenance guys and well people to run that place. 
Duh, why would the company buy a place like
that with no one to run it and have to borrow
from other properties that area already short people.
This totally sucks for them.  Where he works now
is down one maintenance person and they haven't
found a replacement yet which puts a strain on
all the other guys to get things done.
Hubby had to work a little over tonight as it is.
Now these guys have to do any maintenance and
on call emergencies for this other property that they know 
nothing about.   I think there's somewhere between
300-350 apartments at this new property.
I'm an outsider looking in and think they should
take all the maintenance guys over to this
other property and show them around and where things
are like water shut offs, breaker panels, you know
give them the basic run down of the place instead
of just throwing them into the fire.
If you've got a flood going on in an apartment
due to a broken water line or hot water heater it would make
matters worse if you have to spend 30 minutes
looking for a main water shut off valve which
is going to cost the company more.
Just my two cents.


9:20pm


Oh yeah you should have seen the eyes a rolling
when I announced that I had found my next
project for the Summer.  <evil laugh>
FYI it would be better to put the copper tubing
on the backside of the fan than the front!

Homemade Air Conditioner simple DIY AC uses 45 Watts - can be solar powered!

No comments:

Post a Comment